DirectX 9.0c

Old September 19th 04, 01:18 AM
PRIVATE1964

My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

I could understand that because some games require a certain DirectX version,
but it shouldn't matter to your video card because your video card doesn't have
any DirectX9 features.

You should be able to install DirectX 9.0c with your current drivers and the
game should run OK. Your current drivers don't really care about the extra
features in DirectX 9 because it doesn't have them anyway. The game probably
requires DirectX 9 because it will use certain features of DirectX 9 if your
video card supports those features.

Old September 19th 04, 01:20 AM
PRIVATE1964

If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video cards
support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.
Old September 19th 04, 01:21 AM
PRIVATE1964

Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

Most of the time they put it on the game CD.
Old September 19th 04, 04:34 PM
Ron

"Les" wrote in message ...

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.83...
"Les" wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

"PRIVATE1964" wrote
Which game requires 9.0c?

sims 2

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:

If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:

* 2.0 GHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

Which might be a problem for the OP.

My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

Agreed. I had 9.0b on all my machines and could not install Sims2 until I
had loaded 9.0c.

Ron

Old September 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Ron

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

Most of the time they put it on the game CD.

Yep. DX9c IS on the CD.

Ron

Old September 19th 04, 04:38 PM
Ron

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be

playing
it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example,

doesnt
DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video

cards
support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.

Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.

Ron

Old September 19th 04, 05:33 PM
Adam Bennett

Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for £40 I can get
GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.83...
"Les" wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it
insisted on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

I stand corrected about that.

In that case install 9c - it's probably on the game CD - or else from
the MS site and the game will run. Your card won't use any feature from
any DX9 version, however. As said by others already , there's no need to
install DX9 compliant drivers when a card does not support it. Just
install 9c and the game will run if your hardware specs are up to par.

--
CeeBee

Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
since I have been back."

Old September 19th 04, 06:57 PM
Adam Bennett

Here here, too true! Even gonna give that evil mr gates some more dosh too!
Doh!
There comes a time when you know you just have to upgrade....had some good
times wiht the TNT but i think rather than fully retire the TNT I'll palm it
off to my sister, where it wont get the abuse I gave it!

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.74...
"Adam Bennett" xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the
problem. I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway.

Good decision I think. You've had your fun with the TNT and it's time for
the retirement home.

Old September 19th 04, 10:58 PM
PRIVATE1964

Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.

Ron

That's what I meant. They print that on the box and that's what you need to
have.
Old September 19th 04, 11:00 PM
PRIVATE1964

Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for £40 I can get
GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

Your not buying a new video card now after we went through all the trouble of
helping you. If you do were gonna track you down and beat the living tar out of
you. Even if that means tearing you away from the Sims 2. : )