No PCI ID in NVAGP.INF

Old May 19th 04, 04:08 PM
Adam

Default No PCI ID in NVAGP.INF

Right now the computer only opens in Safe Mode and Display settings are
stuck on 16 colors and 640X480.

Spoke with Dell, they say I need to reinstall/update my video graphics
card. It is presently nvidia riva tnt (version 4.12.0.0618, 56.64).
Went to nvidia's site and went o upload the Geoforce riva tnt2 for win98
(no tnt). It turns out that it has the same id as the one already
installed (56.64). When trying of overwrite to present driver, I get the
error message that it couldn't locate the detected device's PCI ID in
nvagp.inf. I guess i need to put the PCI ID into this inf file, eh? How?

My present modem is SA's DPC2100 cable modem...which was just installed
prior to all my problems.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old May 19th 04, 05:15 PM
Biz

"Adam" wrote in message

Right now the computer only opens in Safe Mode and Display settings are
stuck on 16 colors and 640X480.

Spoke with Dell, they say I need to reinstall/update my video graphics
card. It is presently nvidia riva tnt (version 4.12.0.0618, 56.64).
Went to nvidia's site and went o upload the Geoforce riva tnt2 for win98
(no tnt). It turns out that it has the same id as the one already
installed (56.64). When trying of overwrite to present driver, I get the
error message that it couldn't locate the detected device's PCI ID in
nvagp.inf. I guess i need to put the PCI ID into this inf file, eh? How?

My present modem is SA's DPC2100 cable modem...which was just installed
prior to all my problems.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

tnt card support was dropped quite awhile ago from the Detonators...

Go here and download some older drivers specifically for your TNT and OS...

http://www.video-drivers.com/compani...hx=9&bng=7&o=3

IT makes absolutely no sense to try and run the latest and greatest
detonators on a card and OS that old....

Old May 19th 04, 06:57 PM
Adam

Biz wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message

[...]

You are right. I have cleaned out nvidia 56.64 and have installed
44.03. That certainly made a difference (Win98 opens normally, instead
of safe mode). However, I still have a remaining problem: I want to
change some of the display properties, but can't because the Display
Properties screen is so large that no matter what I try, after making my
changes (640X480 to 680X800)I can't get to Apply and OK at the bottom of
the screen to effect the changes. In fact, all my other screens are
quite large and I need to downsize them. Thanks for your contiued help.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old May 19th 04, 08:49 PM
Biz

"Adam" wrote in message

You are right. I have cleaned out nvidia 56.64 and have installed
44.03. That certainly made a difference (Win98 opens normally, instead
of safe mode). However, I still have a remaining problem: I want to
change some of the display properties, but can't because the Display
Properties screen is so large that no matter what I try, after making my
changes (640X480 to 680X800)I can't get to Apply and OK at the bottom of
the screen to effect the changes. In fact, all my other screens are
quite large and I need to downsize them. Thanks for your contiued help.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

OK, is the default key so an enter on your kb will do it. If you have done
something else, the tab key will rotate thru the buttons so you can use
enter.

Old May 19th 04, 10:28 PM
Adam

Biz wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message

You are right. I have cleaned out nvidia 56.64 and have installed
44.03. That certainly made a difference (Win98 opens normally, instead
of safe mode). However, I still have a remaining problem: I want to
change some of the display properties, but can't because the Display
Properties screen is so large that no matter what I try, after making my
changes (640X480 to 680X800)I can't get to Apply and OK at the bottom of
the screen to effect the changes. In fact, all my other screens are
quite large and I need to downsize them. Thanks for your contiued help.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

OK, is the default key so an enter on your kb will do it. If you have done
something else, the tab key will rotate thru the buttons so you can use
enter.

Pretty naive of me not to have figured that out...of course, it worked.
OK, now that I have been able to change the settings in Display Properties,
everything is now back to proper size. But, I'm still having a problem
with getting the
colors to look like they originally looked. This is most prominent in
the icons within
my task bar. Most look right, but a couple of them (Thunderbird-email
client
and MYIE-browser) are somewhat "fuzzy" and not quite the right colors.
The only color
and pixel combination that seems to work closest to my original is 256
colors and 800X600.

And, while we're at at, might as well check one other thing: the
Monitor tab in Settings.
While I was monkeying around, I think I may have changed the optimal
settings here and
hope you can point me in the right direction. Next to the monitor icon
is "unknown,"
and both Automatically detect P&P monitors and Reset display in
suspend/resume... Any
suggestions here?

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old May 20th 04, 01:52 AM
Adam

Adam wrote:

Biz wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message

[...]

As the saga continues, I think I've finally got everything back to its
original customized form. Had to change colors to True Colors-32 bit.
May use more resources, but everything looks real neat. Still not sure
about how to set the monitor, though. Thanks again for your help.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"