Radeon 9500 pro/Homeworld 2 Demo

Old September 8th 03, 07:14 AM
Leslie Smith

The demo ran smooth over here.

Cheap AM37 motherboard, Athlon XP 2400+, 256mb PC2100, Sapphire
9800Pro, Altec TruePower 430watt power source, Catalyst 3.8 driver.

Leslie

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:41:11 -0400, "Waz" wrote:

I recently tried running the homeworld 2 demo.
It complained about finding an obsolete radeon driver (catalyst 3.5) but I
was able to complete the training level.
The game crashed during the animated sequence prior to starting a level. It
crashed just after the hyperdrive core is installed in mothership.
Anyhow, this is not the problem.

I decided to make everything happy and install the newest radeon driver.
Uninstalled 3.5, installed 3.7.
The homeworld demo now comes up as a black screen when I start it. There is
some music but that's all I get.
Alt/Tab will cause a split second view of what must be the main menu before
I get dumped to the desktop.
Clicking on the taskbar icon for homeworld either gives a blank screen or a
very very diagonally distorted (with several bits of mouse pointer all over
the place) of the main menu.

Is this the driver, or the demo's fault?

Asus A7v8x, 512 Meg of 333
radeon 9500 pro.

Thanks

Old September 8th 03, 04:13 PM
Bill L

Hi

As far as I'm aware there isn't a Catalyst 3.8 (typo?). Try the Cat. 3.6
drivers. I'm using the 3.6 with a 9700 non-pro and things are smooth but
there's quite alot of *banding* (looks like 16 bit and not 32 bit rendering)
on the backgrounds.

Moreover, I remember reading on one of the HW forums about a problem with
the demo and the Cat. 3.7 drivers (although I'm not sure I'd call is a
universal issue).

HTH

Bill L

Old September 8th 03, 04:35 PM
Leslie Smith

Ah! You're right. Sorry about that. They are the 3.7s. You're right-
typo.

Leslie

Old September 8th 03, 05:55 PM
El Senor

"Waz" wrote in message
I recently tried running the homeworld 2 demo.
It complained about finding an obsolete radeon driver (catalyst 3.5) but

was able to complete the training level.

Are you sure you have the latest version of DirectX (9.0b)? You do need
both the latest video drivers and most recent version of DirectX to play
the demo.

-Mike

Old September 8th 03, 11:55 PM
Waz

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I suppose if there IS a problem with the cat. 3.7 drivers I would have heard
it from you guys by now.
Now that I have 3.7 installed, I am NOT going backwards to 3.6 to get the
demo working.
If it ran with 3.5 and direct X 9.0a (well, I did finish the training level
didn't I?) then it should at least do that with cat 3.7 and DX 9.0a. Things
should NOT get worse (like getting a black screen when I try to run the
program).

I'll wait and see if some sort of fix comes out soon.
I will not consider buying a game if the demo does not work on my system.

Thanks again,

Waz

Old September 9th 03, 12:38 AM
Sam

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:55:12 -0400, Waz wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I suppose if there IS a problem with the cat. 3.7 drivers I would have heard
it from you guys by now.
Now that I have 3.7 installed, I am NOT going backwards to 3.6 to get the
demo working.
If it ran with 3.5 and direct X 9.0a (well, I did finish the training level
didn't I?) then it should at least do that with cat 3.7 and DX 9.0a. Things
should NOT get worse (like getting a black screen when I try to run the
program).

I'll wait and see if some sort of fix comes out soon.
I will not consider buying a game if the demo does not work on my system.

Thanks again,

Waz

I just tried it with the 3.7 drivers on my Radeon 9500 pro and had no
problems whatsoever. (It looked like a pretty neat game too).

Sam

Old September 9th 03, 02:23 AM
El Senor

"Waz" wrote:
If it ran with 3.5 and direct X 9.0a (well, I did finish the training

level
didn't I?) then it should at least do that with cat 3.7 and DX 9.0a.

Things
should NOT get worse (like getting a black screen when I try to run the
program).

As I said previously - upgrade to DX 9.0b, then uninstall/reinstall the cat
3.7 drivers. You need BOTH 9.0b and cat 3.7.

-Mike

Old September 10th 03, 03:15 AM
Waz

[...]

Tried very hard, un-installing catalyst 3.7 and re-installing. And DirecxtX
9.0b, well forget about un-installing that!

Back to square one.
I restored a backup of my system taken before I installed directX 9.0b and
the catalyst 3.7 drivers.
The homeworld demo runs well with catalyst 3.5 and directX 9.0a.

I'll leave it like that for now.

Old September 10th 03, 12:01 PM
SL

another option altogether is the Omega Drivers. I just redid my 2.0gig XP
Pro machine with my 9500 Pro video card. My best experience happened. Win
XP did not load its own version of an ATI driver like it did in the past
rebuilds. That left me with a perfect system of XP and no ATI driver stuff
to conflict with the first video card to drop in. So, I searched the web
and got the Cat 3.6 drivers and DX 9.0b. The games were fine, but the
DirectX 9 seemed to be the one that is causing trouble with compatability in
my case. Not with the hardware, but the software. It seemed to mess a lot
with my multimedia applications (prior to rebuild). I also made a restore
point when the machine was first loaded. I tried the the Cat 3.6 and DX9.
Then I tried the same with the addition of the Omega Drivers (latest
version). The omega drivers made a nice difference. It installs over the
existing drivers and compliments them. My Return to Castle Wolfenstein and
Command & Conquer Generals both run the smoothest they ever did. Its funny
how the equipment is the same, but a simple driver can make all the
difference. I stayed away from the Omega drivers at first as I did not
know how they would work with others. So far, its nothing but sweetness.

SL

Old September 10th 03, 04:53 PM
El Senor

"Waz" wrote:
Tried very hard, un-installing catalyst 3.7 and re-installing. And

DirecxtX
9.0b, well forget about un-installing that!

Sorry that didn't work for you. This seems strange to me because the demo
wouldn't even start for me without cat 3.7 and DX9.0b.

-Mike