New video cards...

Old November 5th 07, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default New video cards...

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repost.

Hope you can help with a little advice...

One of my two 6600GT cards (SLI configuration) has apparently died, so
I'm looking for a new one. I'm looking for a new pair of identical
cards - might as well upgrade - although not necessarily the absolute
bleeding edge. The main use for them is for running Microsoft Flight
Sim...

I'm currently running XP Pro64 and I have no plans to upgrade to
Vista. Note that, ideally, I'd like to move to Linux and explore the
flight sim options there.

The hardware they'll be paired with: Mainboard is an Asus A8N-SLI
Premium powered by a 520W PSU, currently running an Athlon dual core
3800+; they'll each be driving a driving a Samsung 940BF on digital
(obviously, only one in SLI mode). I'm almost certainly going to be
switching to a water-cooling system for CPU and both GPUs (northbridge
is passively cooled).

Would I be better going for a high end 7-series of newer 8-series?
Also, is there a resource that outlines the differences between
different cards (eg: 8800GT vs 8800GTS vs 8800GTX)?

Cheers - Adam...

Old November 5th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:
[...]

An 8-Series card will allow you to run FSAA and high levels of pixel
processing at the native 1280x1040 resolution of the panel, a 6 will
not. Use the digital connection of the panel, not the analog one.

Water cooling will achieve nothing for you but problems unless you live
in a desert, avoid it.

You might see some FPS improvement with an 8 over 6 series, but it will
be serendipitous, and only if you were over taxing the IQ capabilities
of the 6. I suggest an 8800GT.

btw, this isn't directed at you, but what's with the flightsim ng
members coming to this ng with basic questions? Don't you guys have a
FAQ? They aren't all clueless over there, not even when it comes to rigs
and getting the most out of FS9.

Old November 5th 07, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message

[...]

You might see some FPS improvement with an 8 over 6 series, but it
will be serendipitous, and only if you were over taxing the IQ
capabilities of the 6. I suggest an 8800GT.

What do mean "might"? A single 8800GT/GTS/GTX will outperform SLI 7600GT,
let alone SLI 6600GT.

Old November 5th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

DRS wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message

[...]

You might see some FPS improvement with an 8 over 6 series, but it
will be serendipitous, and only if you were over taxing the IQ
capabilities of the 6. I suggest an 8800GT.

What do mean "might"? A single 8800GT/GTS/GTX will outperform SLI 7600GT,
let alone SLI 6600GT.

I mean might in the sense that not only is FS9 FPS locked based on what
you set it at (or not), but there are a lot of factors in flightsim
performance that are not video card related.

So while the video card is more powerful it does not automatically
guarantee more FPS in his specific configuration.

What it does guarantee is more headroom available for specific changes
which might result in FPS gains if he chooses, or strictly IQ gains if
he chooses...or a balance of both.

Old November 6th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Adams

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

I mean might in the sense that not only is FS9 FPS locked based on what
you set it at (or not),

You can turn off the FPS lock in FS9 so that it will give max capable FPS.
Old November 6th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Adams wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:

I mean might in the sense that not only is FS9 FPS locked based on
what you set it at (or not),

You can turn off the FPS lock in FS9 so that it will give max capable FPS.

Right, that's what "or not" means. Some people choose to remove the FPS
cap, I can't see why they would other than for testing.

IMNSHO, you need to cap FS9 at a sustainable FPS for maximum
performance, performance buckets have already been established, no sense
reinventing the wheel. Which is why I asked what's up with the basic sim
questions again....all of this has been discussed and executed 5 years ago!