Radeon HD 5970 2GB - the world's fastest graphics card is reviewed

Old November 21st 09, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

Default Radeon HD 5970 2GB - the world's fastest graphics card is reviewed

* Wile E. Coyote:

I prefer tea leaves, less mess and far less smelly.

Hmm,..tea..Earl Grey ;-_)

Benjamin
Old November 22nd 09, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"First of One" wrote in message
"William" wrote in message
ion...
Drives 3 monitors up to 2560x1600 each, (2-DVI, 1-Display Port)

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power for.
Their are no games that can use this level of power.

Since AMD is pimping the Eyefinity feature, the card needs to be powerful
enough to drive such resolutions. 24" 1900x1200 LCDs can be bought for
$250 each. Having three is within reach of mere mortals. Modern games at
5700x1200 can take a toll on lesser cards.

This stuff is going no where until the Gaming industry pulls its head out
of its butt and fixes things like DRM and returns to the "One Time Cost"
model verses the "Recurring Cost" of subscription service used lately.
What a waste of talent and money. And sales are down and we are in a
recession, and no one likes PC's for games and all that B.S.

The subscription model is mostly for MMOs. In fact, you are as likely to
pay "recurring cost" as a console user. How much does a year's
subscription to XBox Live cost again? $50?

PC games on a per-unit basis are more profitable for the publisher,
because no licensing fees are paid to Microsoft or Sony. And if the
publisher uses digital distribution via Steam, it takes the retailer
margins, too. PC games are not dying, though most of them are going to be
ports of console games. It's the only way for the business case to work
given today's game development budgets. Sometimes the porting is done well
(Mass Effect), sometimes not so well (Modern Warfare 2), sometimes poorly
(Gears of War).

First:

Have you looked into Mini-Display Port to DVI adaptors? When I looked into
standard Display Port to DVI adaptors NewEgg showed three or four different
models, all passive. But the latest article I read showed the need for
active adaptors for the mini version. What's your take on this adaptor?

You know, if I had room on my desk, I would love to go three monitors It
would be great. Unfortunately I don't have the room without moving the
computer to the floor, or purchasing a new desk with a separate shelf for
the computer. It just isn't worth it for now.

Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

William

Mr. Scrooge seems to be going around this news group already.

Old November 22nd 09, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
Have you looked into Mini-Display Port to DVI adaptors? When I looked into
standard Display Port to DVI adaptors NewEgg showed three or four
different models, all passive. But the latest article I read showed the
need for active adaptors for the mini version. What's your take on this
adaptor?

By passive adapter you mean this one? The specs say "225MHz/2.25Gbps per
channel" which exceeds the requirements for single-link DVI. It's possible
the adapter can drive 2560x1600 with reduced blanking, but cannot drive
higher resolutions that dual-link DVI is capable of (such as 3840x2400).

"Active" adapters appear to draw additional current from either a USB port
or a wall-wart. Dell sells one that surely works with PC displays. It's
rather expensive at $100 US, but just a fraction of the cost of a full blown
setup (HD5970 + 3x 30" displays).
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=330-5521

Of course, AMD could have used VHDCI connectors to fit two DVI ports in the
space of one, like the FireMV and X1950CF...

You know, if I had room on my desk, I would love to go three monitors It
would be great. Unfortunately I don't have the room without moving the
computer to the floor, or purchasing a new desk with a separate shelf for
the computer. It just isn't worth it for now.

Moving the computer to the floor should be free. :-) Though we are seeing a
bad emerging trend in enthusiast cases where the air intakes are on the
bottom.

Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

Yes you too!

Old November 30th 09, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Wile E. Coyote

William wrote:

You know, if I had room on my desk, I would love to go three monitors It
would be great. Unfortunately I don't have the room without moving the
computer to the floor, or purchasing a new desk with a separate shelf for
the computer. It just isn't worth it for now.

Not me, I would rather have one large monitor instead of three separate
monitors. I've done dual monitors and that was hassle enough, never mind
three. Nvida driver kept changing the default main panel on me and ****
like that. Most annoying and drove me batty. This week I have arriving
27.5" LCD and might try using my old 22" as second monitor but with ATI
video card instead of Nvidia and see how that goes. When I use ATI HDMI
port hooked to my HDTV it works well so maybe my hate for dual monitors
was purely due to Nvidia's incompetence.
Old November 30th 09, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Wile E. Coyote

First of One wrote:

Moving the computer to the floor should be free. :-) Though we are seeing a
bad emerging trend in enthusiast cases where the air intakes are on the
bottom.

Trend? Intake has always been on the bottom of the case and is where it
should be because hot air rises and is exhausted out the back top or
even very top on some cases. If dust is what you are worried about then
buy a filter adapter that screws onto the fan.
Old December 2nd 09, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Looks like you misunderstood me. The intake is traditionally on the lower
portion of the front of the case. My Lian-Li PC60 is like that.

The emerging, bad trend sees intake being moved to the floor of the case,
where it draws air from the 1/2 inch gap created by the case feet. Sure, a
fan filter will keep out the dust, but the filter will get clogged very
quickly. And you can forget about leaving the case on a soft carpeted floor
without a hard mat.

Old December 2nd 09, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Wile E. Coyote

First of One wrote:
Looks like you misunderstood me. The intake is traditionally on the lower
portion of the front of the case. My Lian-Li PC60 is like that.

The emerging, bad trend sees intake being moved to the floor of the case,
where it draws air from the 1/2 inch gap created by the case feet. Sure, a
fan filter will keep out the dust, but the filter will get clogged very
quickly. And you can forget about leaving the case on a soft carpeted floor
without a hard mat.

OK, got you. I haven't seen any cases like that but then I haven't
looked at cases for quite some time because am still content with my old
Antec tower that cost me $200.00 back in 2001. This Antec case I have is
old school and is built like a tank and can fit pretty much anything,
has good airflow too, unlike some of the newer cases. Only thing was
that I had to lose the old school beige bake-lite paint so painted it in
gun metal oxide with three coats of clearcoat on top. Looks decent now.
Old December 2nd 09, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN[_12_]

In article , "Wile E. Coyote" wrote:
First of One wrote:
[...]

Any pictures? I love seeing peoples custom setups!!!