Asus A7V333 crashes after swap to 2400+

Old July 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Dave Smith

Default Asus A7V333 crashes after swap to 2400+

I have a machine built on an Asus A7V333. I had been running an 1800+
and it was working perfectly. I got a new 2400+ as part of a
MoBo/Proc package deal at Fry's. I built a new machine for my son
using the old 1800+ and new board and put the 2400+ into my A7V333.
Now my computer boots fine but crashes after a short time. It goes
into safe mode with the message: "Windows detected and recovered from
a device failure..." If I set the CPU/PCI frequency manually to below
130, it seems to be more stable and I haven't had a crash at below
125.

The particulars:

3 X 256 mb Crucial 2100 CT3264Z265 RAM
BIOS Ver. 1018.001 (Beta)
Processor: AXDA2400DKV3 266MHz FSB (An old one?)
Windows XP Pro
Processor Temperature 48C-56C

BIOS settings:
CPU Speed... 2000
Freq. Multiplier... 15X
PU/Memory ratio... Auto
Vcore Setting... Auto

I thought the problem might be the power supply, so I replaced it with
an Antec 400W but still have the same problem. Other than the
processor and PS, I changed nothing in the machine. I checked the
memory by removing/replacing the modules but it didn't help.

If it's a bum processor, I need to figure it out within the next few
days to be able to exchange it.

Thanks very much for any help.
Old July 17th 03, 11:16 AM
ben reed

its probably your ram get some 2700 i had a simalar problem
"John" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:14:21 -0700, Dave Smith
wrote:

[...]

What about swapping MBs . Since the other one came with the 2400 it
should work with it. Are you sure your A7v333 revision version
supports the 2400? The early abit 333 boards wouldnt work with the
2000+ XPs unless you unlocked the chips or something. I got a swap on
my board when I RMAd it to 1.1.

Old July 17th 03, 02:56 PM
kony

wrote:

[...]

I would change the memory ratio to Synchronous, not auto, as I believe
that board would otherwise run memory at +33MHz, even though it's
often a negligable or no performance increase.

I'd also try an earlier bios, not a beta.

However since the other processor worked I'd more likely suspect an
inadequate power supply or heat-related, inadequate CPU heatsink or
chassis cooling. Even though your CPU temp "seems" ok, we're going
under the assumption that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except the processor was
changed? That is, no bios settings or memory, the only difference now
is the physical processor, and it's multiplier used?

Was the XP1800 a Thoroughbred or a Palomino?
What revision is your motherboard?

When you leave the vcore set to auto, what does it read in the Asus
PCProbe?

If you hadn't just switched the processor I would've "guessed" that
the instability was due to running 3 x PC2100 memory modules at the
166MHz (FSB +33MHz) setting, and would've suggested setting the memory
manually to slower timings (higher numbers) in the bios, but since
your current settings worked previously...

Dave
Old July 18th 03, 01:43 AM
Dave Smith

Update...

I'm pretty sure it's the processor. I swapped it into the computer
with the board that came with it in the bundle and that one wouldn't
even boot. I'll trade it in for another and post back.

Thanks very much for your help.