help random crashes

Old July 16th 03, 02:25 PM
ben reed

Default help random crashes

I have recently put a new 120gb hard disk in my computer, since i installed
the drive i have been experiensing simingly random crashes some of which are
blamed on the graphics card driver. I have now reinstalled the card
(drivers and phisicly) but this has not helped much as crashes still ocure
no errors are reported the rest of the time. i am stumped and dont want to
re-build my comp so any ideas would be much apretiated.

Old July 16th 03, 10:21 PM

ben reed kenjka:
I have recently put a new 120gb hard disk in my computer, since i installed
the drive i have been experiensing simingly random crashes some of which are
blamed on the graphics card driver. I have now reinstalled the card
(drivers and phisicly) but this has not helped much as crashes still ocure
no errors are reported the rest of the time. i am stumped and dont want to
re-build my comp so any ideas would be much apretiated.

Can you please specify which card you own?

My friend has got similar problems, but it's after he installed new video
card (MSI GeForce4 Ti4200)... We exchanged everything (yep, really
everything), and it is still no good... So, I'd like to know your
symptoms, and which drive you own?

--
Husoa pjeva imbecilan Mujoo lize danas u saboru ? By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old July 16th 03, 10:30 PM
ben reed

i have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 as well (dont think it is a msi) the hard drive is
a 120gb 2mb cash west. dig. drive and seems to work fine very odd might be
my memory is coming loose? i will re build if it happens again!!!!!!!

ben reed kenjka:

Old July 17th 03, 12:13 PM
Ben

350w should be okay as you say. Since youve put the new hdd as secondary
slave youve not messed with your system much only increased the power
consumption by 12 volts. As modern video cards are power hungry I thought
the AGP voltage may be fluctuating hence the error messages about the
graphics card. Try reinstalling the Via 4-in-1s. Do you have fast-writes
enabled ? That can be unstable (4xAGP should be fine - dont worry about
that) so disable that in the mobo bios. After that I would look at IRQ
sharing IF you have W2K or XP installed.
hth
Ben

"ben reed" wrote in message
i have a 350w psu which should be fine but what about usb2 devices (i have
usb modem mouse game vouce and printer but the printer has seperat power
suplie)
"Ben" wrote in message
whats the power supply in your case ? youve just increased the power
consumption remember ?
a rough guide for power requirements is 150w for the motherboard/cpu/ram
12w for every card and drive running off the PSU and dont forget the

monitor
and floppy too.

"ben reed" wrote in message
i have:

amd 2.5 cpu thurobread
756 mb ram
msi kt3 ultra 2(via kt 333 chip set)
3 hard disks two 20 gb (one nikemi slave, one w.d. master) and one 120

gb
(wd new 2mb chash sec slave)
4200 ti graphics card
network card 10/100
dvd sec master

"Ben" besplevia wrote in message
give a detailed list of all hardware in the case and the PSU rating.

what
OS
is it too and when you put in the new hdd did that become the master

and
did
you reinstall the OS fresh on it?