Screen saver messes up a download over wireless adapter

Old May 5th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Screen saver messes up a download over wireless adapter

I've got the Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless USB adapter that I installed
yesterday. I was downloading a large file today, and then the screen
saver kicked in. Then I moved the mouse to get out of the screen
saver, and I noticed that the progress indicator had stopped moving.
So the screen saver must have affected the wireless adapter. I opened
up another browser and it could connect to sites. But the download
didn't proceed anymore and had to be cancelled. Anyone experienced
anything like that? Would you think that is acceptable, or is this a
cheap piece of junk? (It costs only $8 after the rebate.) Running
Windows Vista SP1.
Old May 5th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
I've got the Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless USB adapter that I installed
yesterday. I was downloading a large file today, and then the screen
saver kicked in. Then I moved the mouse to get out of the screen
saver, and I noticed that the progress indicator had stopped moving.
So the screen saver must have affected the wireless adapter. I opened
up another browser and it could connect to sites. But the download
didn't proceed anymore and had to be cancelled. Anyone experienced
anything like that? Would you think that is acceptable, or is this a
cheap piece of junk? (It costs only $8 after the rebate.) Running
Windows Vista SP1.

That's if you get the rebate.

Note there are at least two different chips used in them. RTL8187B
is one of them. You can see in the description here, the device
is pretty intelligent. It even has small buffers, to hold packets
until the host is ready to poll the USB port.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...n=5&ProdID=143

I suppose it might depend, on what other state changes are triggered by
your screen saver. For example, you probably wouldn't want the OS
to turn off power to the adapter, to "save power". In this
example, make sure the box is not ticked.

This one is an example for WinXP.
http://web.archive.org/web/200206132...ES/winxpu1.jpg

I don't know where this one fits into Vista, but you may want to investigate this.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ima...-USB-Power.png

In the few reviews I read on Newegg, I didn't see something
matching your description. But there are several hundred of
them to read, and maybe you'll find one that matches your
symptoms.

Paul
Old May 5th 08, 08:25 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Harry[_6_]

wrote in message
I've got the Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless USB adapter that I installed
yesterday. I was downloading a large file today, and then the screen
saver kicked in. Then I moved the mouse to get out of the screen
saver, and I noticed that the progress indicator had stopped moving.
So the screen saver must have affected the wireless adapter. I opened
up another browser and it could connect to sites. But the download
didn't proceed anymore and had to be cancelled. Anyone experienced
anything like that? Would you think that is acceptable, or is this a
cheap piece of junk? (It costs only $8 after the rebate.) Running
Windows Vista SP1.

Does the power managment turn the USB adaptor off when the screen saver
comes on?

Old May 5th 08, 12:39 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Thomas Wendell

kirjoitti
I've got the Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless USB adapter that I installed
yesterday. I was downloading a large file today, and then the screen
saver kicked in. Then I moved the mouse to get out of the screen
saver, and I noticed that the progress indicator had stopped moving.
So the screen saver must have affected the wireless adapter. I opened
up another browser and it could connect to sites. But the download
didn't proceed anymore and had to be cancelled. Anyone experienced
anything like that? Would you think that is acceptable, or is this a
cheap piece of junk? (It costs only $8 after the rebate.) Running
Windows Vista SP1.

Check power management settings for BOTH your USB ports and the wireless
adapter,
device manager - USB - USB Hub (all of them) power
management -tab -uncheck "Allow .. to save power)
( start - run = devmgmt.msc )

--
Tumppi

Wireless mouse and screen saver Lez Pawl General 3 October 5th 06 08:13 PM
Screen saver (Win2K) Donny General Hardware 1 January 5th 04 04:39 AM
Screen Saver HCRychener Dell Computers 0 December 22nd 03 11:29 PM
Wireless AP messes with IP addresses Dietrich General Hardware 0 November 7th 03 06:27 PM
A problem with the screen saver and DOS Ful screen programs Manfred Preußig Nvidia Videocards 0 August 2nd 03 05:04 PM