Dial-up modems that's faster than 56k?

Old March 15th 08, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Default Dial-up modems that's faster than 56k?

Do they exist? How much would they cost?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
Old March 15th 08, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

Not according to this. 56K is the end of the
line for dialup. Other technologies take
over from there. ISDN is an example, which
was invented a long time ago, and in some
countries, never became popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.92

There have been products, which team more than
one modem, to give higher thruput. But then you'd
have to pay the monthly fee for multiple phone
lines. Terms: "shotgun" modem or bonding.

http://www.56k.com/reports/bonding.shtml

Paul

Old March 15th 08, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 4:13 am, Man-wai Chang ToDie
wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
^ ^ 17:11:01 up 3:59 0 users load average: 1.07 1.07 1.08
$BAn(B $B1g(B (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

Technically, a dial up modem, according to the FCC, is not supposed to
go more than something like 48k. The highest speed that I've ever
gotten on one was 44k.
Old March 15th 08, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
^ ^ 17:11:01 up 3:59 0 users load average: 1.07 1.07 1.08
$BAn(B $B1g(B

(CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_.../sub_addresses
a/

Technically, a dial up modem, according to the FCC, is not supposed to
go more than something like 48k. The highest speed that I've ever
gotten on one was 44k.

When I used to have dial-up I could sometimes connect at 48 k or so...
however, even if there was a modem that was faster than 56k, due to the line
limitations
once could not connect at higher speeds anyway

Old March 15th 08, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

wrote:

Technically, a dial up modem, according to the FCC, is not
supposed to go more than something like 48k.

That's close, but (for what it's worth) the FCC limitation is 53K.
Old March 15th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden

As others have written, the 56k limit was the max in the US. (The real
maximum data rate was lower, as others have written.)

There were schemes that used 2 phone lines. The hardware wasn't expensive,
but the user had to pay for the two lines. (I believe that it may have
required ISP support as well.) I believe that they were never popular.

ISDN was faster (128 kbps), but expensive and not definable as dial-up.

Old March 15th 08, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larry Roberts

wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
^ ^ 17:11:01 up 3:59 0 users load average: 1.07 1.07 1.08
? ? (CSSA):

Technically, a dial up modem, according to the FCC, is not supposed to
go more than something like 48k. The highest speed that I've ever
gotten on one was 44k.

My US Robotics 56K External can connect at 53K, however it may
fallback a little afterwards.
Old March 15th 08, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
. ..
As others have written, the 56k limit was the max in the US. (The real
maximum data rate was lower, as others have written.)

There were schemes that used 2 phone lines. The hardware wasn't expensive,
but the user had to pay for the two lines. (I believe that it may have
required ISP support as well.) I believe that they were never popular.

That's correct.
I read an article on it a few years back and it was very difficult to get it
configured
and working

Old March 16th 08, 12:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

Thank you all for the time

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
^ ^ 20:26:01 up 1 day 7:14 3 users load average: 1.27 1.12 1.02
ºî ´© (CSSA):
Old March 16th 08, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly

On Mar 15, 5:13 am, Man-wai Chang ToDie
wrote:
Do they exist? How much would they cost?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
^ ^ 17:11:01 up 3:59 0 users load average: 1.07 1.07 1.08
$BAn(B $B1g(B (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

Cheap - effectively ASDL/VOIP modems. Considering the TELCO is
contracted by the ISP for a line verification / condition check on
essentially the very same and exact telephone line you called the day
before to sign up for VOIP. Get your MAC number to plug in and off
you go. Maybe $50 for a modem and $17 monthly for modulation services
at roughly x20 faster than 56K, which doesn't curtail or limit
simultaneous voice transmission or traditional phone calls. When I
dropped 56K a year or more ago my monthly charges were $4/US. My ISP
did tell me, however, I couldn't drop my existing TELCO subscription
(in favor of a cellphone contract) and expect to pay only for VOIP -
which I'm not sure to what extent the information I was given is
truthful.

The other thing, is crap-out modems (1-year ISP contract, modem
provided w/ support). My ISP replaced the first problematic modem -
which, detailed, wasn't a fun thing to do. It's after a year, now, and
I haven't bothered yet to research VOIP modems and purchase a backup,
go through the proceedures and verify I have a working backup modem -
which is probably asking for it.

Zoom Technologies Dial-Up Modems Me/PDX Homebuilt PC's 3 August 24th 06 01:14 PM
dial-up modems will dial, but not connect Lyn Homebuilt PC's 4 August 22nd 05 03:03 PM
AMR modems mavy Homebuilt PC's 1 April 23rd 05 01:19 PM
modems gigi General Hardware 1 January 8th 04 09:39 PM
3 PCI Modems in one PC John Carlyle-Clarke General 2 October 23rd 03 09:30 AM