Safely remove PCI express graphics card?

Old March 4th 08, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

Default Safely remove PCI express graphics card?

I have an Asus P5K Premium mobo, and I am uncertain as to how to
correctly remove a PCI express graphics card seated on it. There's a
plastic blue tab at the end of the PCIe x16 connector section, but
it's unclear which way to move it in order to release the graphics
card. Do I push it down or up? Or do I push it sideways away from
the card, or perhaps sideways towards the card? Or possibly a
combination of two movements at the same time?

There is no advice offered in the Asus manual, and searching online
reveals example after example offering the advice of "push/press the
lever", without any specified direction.

Thank you, best regards from Robert.
Old March 4th 08, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

rpgs rock dvds plaatste dit op zijn scherm :
I have an Asus P5K Premium mobo, and I am uncertain as to how to
correctly remove a PCI express graphics card seated on it. There's a
plastic blue tab at the end of the PCIe x16 connector section, but
it's unclear which way to move it in order to release the graphics
card. Do I push it down or up? Or do I push it sideways away from
the card, or perhaps sideways towards the card? Or possibly a
combination of two movements at the same time?

There is no advice offered in the Asus manual, and searching online
reveals example after example offering the advice of "push/press the
lever", without any specified direction.

Thank you, best regards from Robert.

Usually: sideways or downward.
Try gently and do not 'force' a certain way. If one way does not work,
than try the other way.

Also: RTFM.

André

Old March 4th 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Man-wai Chang ToDie

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
I have an Asus P5K Premium mobo, and I am uncertain as to how to
correctly remove a PCI express graphics card seated on it. There's a
plastic blue tab at the end of the PCIe x16 connector section, but
it's unclear which way to move it in order to release the graphics
card. Do I push it down or up? Or do I push it sideways away from
the card, or perhaps sideways towards the card? Or possibly a
combination of two movements at the same time?

Watch the lock at the end of the slot...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3
Old March 4th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
I have an Asus P5K Premium mobo, and I am uncertain as to how to
correctly remove a PCI express graphics card seated on it. There's a
plastic blue tab at the end of the PCIe x16 connector section, but
it's unclear which way to move it in order to release the graphics
card. Do I push it down or up? Or do I push it sideways away from
the card, or perhaps sideways towards the card? Or possibly a
combination of two movements at the same time?

There is no advice offered in the Asus manual, and searching online
reveals example after example offering the advice of "push/press the
lever", without any specified direction.

Thank you, best regards from Robert.

Such things are never documented :-) I've been through the same hell,
cannot clearly see because of stuff in the way, and don't know which way
to move it.

Have a look at the picture here. On the right, you can see a "heel"
on the right hand end of the slot connector. Now, imagine a tab had
a "circle" or "dimple" on it, that fitted into that opening. It would
hold the card pretty securely in place, wouldn't it ? Moving the clip
sideways, might allow the heel to move upwards.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...143-109-04.jpg

Look for a picture of your video card, so you can examine for that
"heel" looking thing. That might be how the clamp works.

Paul
Old March 4th 08, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

On 4 Mar, 19:32, Paul wrote:
rpgs rock dvds wrote:
[...]

Perfect explanation; thanks Paul. I now realise I have to move the
tab sideways about 2mm, direction away from the card, and then lift
the card upwards before releasing the sideways pressure on the tab.
(BTW, it's an eVGA 8800 GT card.)

All the best from Robert.