Acer 22" 1650x1080 X223Wbd is a winner (my review)

Old November 26th 08, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Morvak

Default Acer 22" 1650x1080 X223Wbd is a winner (my review)

Just wanted to say for anyone trying to decide on a 22" lcd monitor to
buy, I received my new Acer monitor and it is a hands down winner.

Didn't have to touch a thing out of the box (i.e. contrast,
brightness). No dead pixels far as I can tell either.

For $165 it can't be beat. What a steal. I am thrilled with the
clarity and color and no ghosting whatsoever. I game, surf the net,
little photo editing here and there and this thing is perfect.

There might be some minor blacklight bleed at the bottom, but I titled
my monitor a little so maybe it's just the angle. Anyway, it's nothing
noticeable anyway and it might not even be blacklight bleed to begin
with. Nothing noticeable or irritating anyway during games. Like I
said, prolly not even bleed.

Nice matte finish, no glare and I got fluorescent bulbs in my dropdown
ceiling.

The monitor also tilts up and down a little bit, which is nice.

The monitor may be a little wobbly on its stand but my desk is a
little wobbly too. But I hardly notice any wobble whatsoever by the
monitor. Only if you bump up against the desk and then it's only
typical shake. So this is not a concern at all.

3 yr warranty and it's not like you're out $300+ dollars if anything
happens to it (that's just how I look at it since i'm frugal).

Text is crisp and sharp at the default recommended 1650x1080 res.
Haven't tried other resolutions, but don't want/need to.

Hope this helps someone.
Old November 26th 08, 07:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shawk

morvak wrote:

The monitor may be a little wobbly on its stand but my desk is a
little wobbly too. But I hardly notice any wobble whatsoever by the
monitor. Only if you bump up against the desk and then it's only
typical shake. So this is not a concern at all.

I have the 22" Sammy and love it. I bought an arm for mine which is
fixed to the wall behind the desk. This means I can position the screen
closer, further away, tilt it more than the base allowed and even spin
it to portrait mode for some gfx editing or work. Plus of course the
space below the monitor is free for my centre speaker and USB hub,
Tom-Tom, mug of coffee, glass of beer etc etc...
Old November 26th 08, 08:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Morvak

On Nov 26, 2:38*pm, Shawk wrote:
morvak wrote:

The monitor may be a little wobbly on its stand but my desk is a
little wobbly too. But I hardly notice any wobble whatsoever by the
monitor. Only if you bump up against the desk and then it's only
typical shake. So this is not a concern at all.

I have the 22" Sammy and love it. *I bought an arm for mine which is
fixed to the wall behind the desk. *This means I can position the screen
closer, further away, tilt it more than the base allowed and even spin
it to portrait mode for some gfx editing or work. *Plus of course the
space below the monitor is free for my centre speaker and USB hub,
Tom-Tom, mug of coffee, glass of beer etc etc...

Oh great idea. Do you have a link to that arm?
Old November 26th 08, 10:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shawk

morvak wrote:
On Nov 26, 2:38 pm, Shawk wrote:
morvak wrote:

The monitor may be a little wobbly on its stand but my desk is a
little wobbly too. But I hardly notice any wobble whatsoever by the
monitor. Only if you bump up against the desk and then it's only
typical shake. So this is not a concern at all.

I have the 22" Sammy and love it. I bought an arm for mine which is
fixed to the wall behind the desk. This means I can position the screen
closer, further away, tilt it more than the base allowed and even spin
it to portrait mode for some gfx editing or work. Plus of course the
space below the monitor is free for my centre speaker and USB hub,
Tom-Tom, mug of coffee, glass of beer etc etc...

Oh great idea. Do you have a link to that arm?

Damn... I knew you were going to ask that ;-)

This is not the site or the arm but just for information/demonstration
it is a dual-arm similar to this but at a fraction of that price
(probably because it isn't gas assisted - height of laziness or what).

I will look for a reciept in my emails but I'm not sure how useful it'd
be if I can find it - it was a UK supplier

http://www.keyzone.com/Monitor_Arms/...ouble_Arm.html
Old November 26th 08, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shawk

morvak wrote:
On Nov 26, 2:38 pm, Shawk wrote:
morvak wrote:

The monitor may be a little wobbly on its stand but my desk is a
little wobbly too. But I hardly notice any wobble whatsoever by the
monitor. Only if you bump up against the desk and then it's only
typical shake. So this is not a concern at all.

I have the 22" Sammy and love it. I bought an arm for mine which is
fixed to the wall behind the desk. This means I can position the screen
closer, further away, tilt it more than the base allowed and even spin
it to portrait mode for some gfx editing or work. Plus of course the
space below the monitor is free for my centre speaker and USB hub,
Tom-Tom, mug of coffee, glass of beer etc etc...

Oh great idea. Do you have a link to that arm?

Found it... considerably lower quality than the one I posted before but
as its behind the monitor and does all the things I want it to its worth
more to me than the asking price...

http://www.av4home.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss0...=5&search.y=10

Big plus for me was that it folded flat to the wall (flat including the
depth of the arms of course)

Old November 26th 08, 11:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flanders

Widescreen gaming sucks.

Plus I couldn't live with 1080 vertical.

Does seem like a good value though at $165 for a general purpose or
second monitor.
Old November 27th 08, 03:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lou

"Flanders" wrote in message
news

Widescreen gaming sucks.

Plus I couldn't live with 1080 vertical.

Does seem like a good value though at $165 for a general purpose or
second monitor.

Hmmm.. did the price just drop? Your link now says it cost $149.99 w/free
shipping.

At this price I would suggest buy two more and setup a triple screen
surround gaming setup. Triple wide screens are awesome, but if some games
make you motion sick, it might not work for you.

I bought three 22" Samsung monitors for triple screen setup from Costco,
because they have no restocking fee if I need to return them.

Old November 27th 08, 02:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Magnate

"morvak" wrote
Just wanted to say for anyone trying to decide on a 22" lcd monitor to
buy, I received my new Acer monitor and it is a hands down winner.

Didn't have to touch a thing out of the box (i.e. contrast,
brightness). No dead pixels far as I can tell either.

For $165 it can't be beat. What a steal. I am thrilled with the
clarity and color and no ghosting whatsoever. I game, surf the net,
little photo editing here and there and this thing is perfect.

[snip]
Text is crisp and sharp at the default recommended 1650x1080 res.
Haven't tried other resolutions, but don't want/need to.

Hope this helps someone.

Hmm. I found it for £103 but the site looked dubious. Couldn't find it
anywhere else except one other site for £145 - maybe this model hasn't
really reached Europe yet? I found lots of Acer V223... and Acer W223... but
not X223 ...

For £170 I can get a 24" 1920x1200 - though I've got my sights on an Iiyama
B2403WS with HDMI, which is down to about £270. The cheapest 24" with HDMI
seems to be the BenQ G2400WD which I can find for under £230, but I think it
might be worth spending the extra £40 for the Iiyama's higher specs.

That's assuming I get to spend some of my own money at some point, of
course. At the moment it's all being spent on baby linen and nursery
furniture. Lord knows what happens once the baby actually arrives.

CC

Old November 28th 08, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

what is the vertical refresh rate of the monitor?
i read somewhere that it is maxed at 60hz at the highest res

Old November 28th 08, 09:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sillyputty[_2_]

Acer makes some good stuff. I have an Acer 6920 laptop with 16" wide-
screen and love it. It comes with 4 gigs of RAM, 250mb HD and Vista
Home Premium 64-bit.