DirectX 10 card on DirectX 9?

Old March 25th 08, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Default DirectX 10 card on DirectX 9?

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
I don't know from personal experience, but see:

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

It appears that a 7600GT and an 8600GT would have essentially identical
performance under DX9, based on their raw specs. I have not read of any
significant loss of performance of a DX10-capable cards under DX9.

If you are buying the card new, be sure to check pricing on the 9600GT as
well. It may well be bottlenecked by the processor you will use, but it's
a much more capable card than the 8600GT, for surprisingly little more
money (at least at www.newegg.com). I know that you don't want to be
bullied into spending a lot more money on your system, but you don't want
to take a significant performance loss to save a few dollars. (IMHO)

Bob, thanks a lot! I appreciate the info and sure will check out the 9600GT.

Neil

Old March 25th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang ToDie

8800GT core, but costs 50 bucks less or more (150). The 8800GT is the
undisputed king of performance to dollar. For around 200 you get
performance nearly as good as a 8800GTX!

9800GT should be out soon...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3