Please help - GA-K8NXP-SLI BIOS update problems

Old December 4th 05, 02:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default Please help - GA-K8NXP-SLI BIOS update problems

Hello all,

My PC has been running quite happily on the F9 BIOS then I stupidly tried to
change a setting (enable 1T timing) in the BIOS screen. I hit F10 and the PC
wouldn't boot (series of long bleeps). I switched off the PC and restarted
with the delete key. Anyhow the PC started (one long beep followed by a
successful POST beep) but this time with the F6 BIOS version. I really don't
want to use this version as it means I can't run the RAM above 166MHz (200
with the F9 BIOS)

Anyhow I haven't got a floppy drive so I used Gigabytes @BIOS to flash to
the latest F10 BIOS through windows. The BIOS programming process seemed to
go fine but the problems started again when I restarted the PC - again it
wont start from a warm reboot and I have to switch the PC off do a cold boot
and ... end up with the F6 BIOS! (

Sooo what I am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove the mobo battery before I
switch on the PC after updating the BIOS? Is it the @BIOS method which is
the problem? Would this occur with the floppy disk method? Should I buy a
Mac? ;o)

TIA

BillL

Old December 5th 05, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

In article , "BillL"
wrote:

[...]

Your board has a dual BIOS. I see in the manual, in section 4.1.3,
(pg.59) there is an option to boot from Main BIOS or Backup BIOS.
Would it be a matter of selecting the BIOS you want to boot from,
via that setting ?

http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherB...k8nxpsli_e.pdf

Paul
Old December 5th 05, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"BillL" wrote in message
[...]

Paul is quite right you have a Dual BIOS system and you must
Read The Flippin` Manual. And anyway Mac`s are too bl**dy expensive g.
bw..OJ

Old December 5th 05, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"old jon" wrote in message

"BillL" wrote in message
[...]

Meh! I know about the Dual Bios thingy wotsit it and I suspect (though I
don't know) that its just booting from the back-up BIOS with the F6 version.
So maybe I need to take the bull by the horns and so a bit of trial and
error?

Err next plea for help: 'I'm posting this to the NG from a friends PC cos
mine's totally hosed' ... ;o)

OJ you're not wrong about Mac's and since they're goimg to be using Intel
CPU's soon I wouldn't touch em!