Parallel port to USB printer adapter?

Old August 28th 03, 12:51 PM
Phrederik

Default Parallel port to USB printer adapter?

Does anyone know if they make an adapter to convert the printer port on a PC
to connect to a USB printer?

I have a small print server box that has a parallel output. I want to hook a
USB only printer to it.

All the adapters I've found convert the other way (USB on computer to
parallel port on printer).

Does anyone have one, or know where I can find one of these items?

Thanks!

Old August 28th 03, 02:31 PM
Jim Turner

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:51:22 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

Does anyone know if they make an adapter to convert the printer port on a PC
to connect to a USB printer?

I have a small print server box that has a parallel output. I want to hook a
USB only printer to it.

All the adapters I've found convert the other way (USB on computer to
parallel port on printer).

Does anyone have one, or know where I can find one of these items?

Thanks!

don't think they make one. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't work
on your print server. USB is a more general purpose interface and
requires a smarter driver for initialization and device recognition
plus USB allows multiple devices through daisy chaining, etc..

What type of printer is it? HP make a USB print server for some of
their printers, but it only works with their printers, and only
specific models.

Even before USB, not all printers would work on a printserver.

Jim
Old August 28th 03, 03:24 PM
Phrederik

I have a small print server box that has a parallel output. I want
to hook a
USB only printer to it.

don't think they make one. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't

work
on your print server. USB is a more general purpose interface and
requires a smarter driver for initialization and device recognition
plus USB allows multiple devices through daisy chaining, etc..

What type of printer is it? HP make a USB print server for some of
their printers, but it only works with their printers, and only
specific models.

Drat... I want to replace my aging (but still working fine) Epson
Photo 700 printer that's connected to an ethernet HP Jetdirect server.
I figure after six years it may be time to consider retiring it. I
was considering an Epson Photo 785EPX, but they are USB only.

Thanks!

Old August 28th 03, 04:08 PM
Jim Turner

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:24:37 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

[...]

HP Makes a USB JetDirect, but it is limited to some HP printers. I see
4 options.

1. Use your current printer until the wheels fall off. I would
probably do that anyway. Hate to throw a working printer away.

2. Search for a parallel printer that does what you want. Realize that
some of the "windows only" printers won't work on a print server even
though they are parallel port.

3. Get a USB printer and new USB Print server that it is compatible
with. Or get a new printer with ethernet built in.

4. Plug you printer into a computer and share it from there. Just
means you have to have the computer turned on all the time you want to
share the printer.
Old August 28th 03, 06:09 PM
Mike Ouellet

Buy a USB PCI card