AMD CPU Temp (AthlonXP vs. Athlon64)?

Old December 12th 04, 06:24 PM
bleekay

Default AMD CPU Temp (AthlonXP vs. Athlon64)?

Hello, folks!

I have a question for the group as I am thoroughly confused.

I have an old AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (1666 MHz) that used to sit around
61°C idle. This was apparently normal for the AthlonXP. However, I
went out and bought a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for this CPU and now she
is stable around 45°C idle.

I recently picked up a new system running an AMD Athlon64 3000+ (2000
MHz). With the standard HSF that came in the box the Athlon64 idles
around 35°C. WTF!?! The 32-bit processor would normally be hot
enough to cook an egg on but the 64-bit CPU is as cool as a cucumber
(relatively speaking).

How can this be if the AMD 64-bit chip is running at a higher speed
than the AMD 32-bit chip?

TIA...
Old December 12th 04, 08:11 PM
kony

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:24:47 -0500, bleekay
wrote:

Hello, folks!

I have a question for the group as I am thoroughly confused.

I have an old AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (1666 MHz) that used to sit around
61°C idle. This was apparently normal for the AthlonXP. However, I
went out and bought a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for this CPU and now she
is stable around 45°C idle.

I recently picked up a new system running an AMD Athlon64 3000+ (2000
MHz). With the standard HSF that came in the box the Athlon64 idles
around 35°C. WTF!?! The 32-bit processor would normally be hot
enough to cook an egg on but the 64-bit CPU is as cool as a cucumber
(relatively speaking).

How can this be if the AMD 64-bit chip is running at a higher speed
than the AMD 32-bit chip?

TIA...

Better power-saving features, better heatsink, lower
voltage.

Although you saw a great temperature drop with the Volcano
7+, a Volcano 7 isn't all that great of a heatsink either!
A better heatsink would've dropped the temp more, but still
due to aforementioned factors the A64 could be cooler.

However, idle temps can easily vary even by the accuracy of
the motherboard's temp reporting and method used to obtain
the reading. A more important issue is what the extended
full-load temp is.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Advice/Suggestion/Info CPU comparison Athlon64 v P4 Bruce M. Whealton General 1 August 27th 04 05:15 PM
CPU Temp - How hot is too hot? Christoph General 7 June 5th 04 01:40 PM
cpu temp? Dave General 6 March 26th 04 03:54 AM
2.4Ghz P4 Xeon 400mhz, CPU Temp Ranges Duncan, Eric A. General 2 February 3rd 04 05:48 AM