HP 842C Deskjet printer color cartridge refill problem

Old July 17th 03, 12:17 AM
printerguy

Default HP 842C Deskjet printer color cartridge refill problem

Dear Anyone Who Might Know:

I just refilled the yellow reservoir of my #17 cartridge after it went
dry a week ago with about 10m. of ink. It printed yellow for a short
period of time but soon faded and now will not print yellow AT ALL.
Aligning and cleaning the cartridge does no good. However, when I
remove the cartridge from the carriage & dab the print head on tissue
paper, some yellow bleeds through. Why does it not print yellow any
longer and how can I get the cartridge to work so I haven't wasted the
replacement ink I've just put in??? Thanks.

Old July 17th 03, 04:07 PM

printerguy dontemailme@ here.com wrote:
Dear Anyone Who Might Know:

I just refilled the yellow reservoir of my #17 cartridge after it went
dry a week ago with about 10m. of ink. It printed yellow for a short
period of time but soon faded and now will not print yellow AT ALL.
Aligning and cleaning the cartridge does no good. However, when I
remove the cartridge from the carriage & dab the print head on tissue
paper, some yellow bleeds through. Why does it not print yellow any
longer and how can I get the cartridge to work so I haven't wasted the
replacement ink I've just put in??? Thanks.

I've tried twice to fill the #17 and have had limited success. I usually
end up with at least one color being a bit streaky (burnt out nozzles I
suppose). My best guess is you have air trapped in the sponge or in the
reservior between the filter screen and the printhead. Printing dry can
burn out some of the nozzles very quickly. Does your needle go to the
very bottom of the cartridge? If not, there is air in the sponge below
where your needle could reach. Those sponges are very dense and the ink
will not migrate very far on its own. If you can reach the bottom, try
injecting a little more very slowly right at the screen. If that doesn't
work, you might try rubber banding some paper towel to the head, place the
cartridge in a strong plastic bag or a sock head down and spinning it.
This just might push some ink down into the head area. You might also try
very slowly applying pressure to the fill hole to push ink through. Be
gentle or you could burst the head seals and push ink into an adjacent
cell. Next time I refill I'm going to do it well before it runs out and
inject VERY SLOWLY (maybe even let it soak in rather than push it in)
right at the filter screen.

Good luck to both of us!
Bryan

P.S. my first attempt at the #15 (black) worked perfectly.

Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500 Paul Filion Dell Computers 14 August 22nd 04 11:51 AM
Printer Cartridge refill Clark General 7 January 8th 04 02:44 AM
laser Printer Toner refill JohnNews General 9 September 14th 03 04:29 AM
HP Deskjet 697c blinking lights error: time to toss the printer ? Stephen Gallant Printers 0 July 13th 03 11:41 PM