Would an 8x AGP card work on a 2x AGP motherboard?

Old August 2nd 03, 01:25 PM
JiNX

Default Would an 8x AGP card work on a 2x AGP motherboard?

I have a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 motherboard which supports 1x and 2x AGP.
I am want to upgrade by system, but would prefer to do it in stages
(available cash constraints... haha)
I will eventually be updating the following:

Motherboard: Gigabyte S478 Intel 865G ATX A V L (800Mhz Bus)
Processor: Pentium4 2.8Ghz S478 (800Mhz Bus)
Memory: 512Mb PC3200 DDR RAM
Graphics: Gainward Ti4800 128Mb DDR 8x AGP + FireWire

Ideally I would like to start by upgrading the graphics card, but I'm not
sure whether this is feasable... My question is basically whether the 8x AGP
card will still work on my current 2x AGP motherboard, and just be affected
performace-wise? or will it not work at all?
I am happy to run with this step-back in performance until I can upgrade the
rest of the components if this is possible because it'll mean that I can
take advantage of other features of the card in the meantime (multi-monitor
support etc)

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Dom

Old August 2nd 03, 01:34 PM
Shepİ

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:30:59 +0100, In this world we created "HamMan"
wrote :

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

As far as i'm aware, as long as the old motherboard is using 1.5v and not
3.3v the card should work - very slowly

How slow?
Is there any real advantage to AGP 8X cards?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old August 2nd 03, 01:56 PM
JiNX

"HamMan" wrote in message

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

When you say slowly... do you mean slowly compared to it's normal
performance but useable, or slowly - everything working at a snail's pace?

Also, is there any way to find out the voltage I am using? (haven't dug out
the manual for the motherboard yet)

Old August 2nd 03, 03:33 PM
Folk

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:34:08 +0100, Shepİ wrote:

As far as i'm aware, as long as the old motherboard is using 1.5v and not
3.3v the card should work - very slowly

How slow?
Is there any real advantage to AGP 8X cards?

Yeah, that threw me too. Methinks responder is talking through his
hat.

Old August 2nd 03, 05:00 PM
HamMan

"JiNX" wrote in message

"HamMan" wrote in message

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

Slowly as in faster than your old card, but nowhere near how fast the card
could be going if it was on AGP 8x

Old August 2nd 03, 06:03 PM
Shepİ

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 17:00:13 +0100, In this world we created "HamMan"
wrote :

"JiNX" wrote in message

"HamMan" wrote in message

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tested your card at 2X/4X and 8X to see what the difference
is?
You may be surprised ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old August 2nd 03, 07:15 PM
HamMan

wrote :

"JiNX" wrote in message

"HamMan" wrote in message

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

Point 1: My crappy KX7-333 doesnt have AGP 8x, and my GF4 is only a 4x card

Point 2: I have tried a TnT2 in my AGP4x slot, after it had been in a 2x
Slot, massive difference

Point 3: Is fairly obvious that if a new card is designed for the 8x bus,
its gonna be slower in a 4x slot

Old August 2nd 03, 07:20 PM
Shepİ

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:15:46 +0100, In this world we created "HamMan"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

"JiNX" wrote in message

"HamMan" wrote in message

"JiNX" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately not as the AGP speed is for system RAM and if the card
is faster and has enough on board RAM then it can actually be slower
depending on the game.I've tested all my cards at 2X and 4X and found
no difference that cannot be attributed to bench test anomalies.
Because the speed of development of video cards overtaking the speed
of development of mother boards they are beating system RAM.
The TnT card was not a good example as it was a crap card to start
with :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old August 2nd 03, 07:28 PM
Spajky

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:25:32 +0100, "JiNX" wrote:

I have a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 motherboard which supports 1x and 2x AGP.
My question is basically whether the 8x AGP
card will still work on my current 2x AGP motherboard, and just be affected
performace-wise? or will it not work at all?

if the AGP chip on that card is universal one should work; check the
cards agp connector PCB part. if it has 2 cuts @ approx 1/3 & 2/3 of
it between contacts should work ..

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old August 3rd 03, 12:01 AM
Shepİ

Unfortunately not as the AGP speed is for system RAM and if the card
is faster and has enough on board RAM then it can actually be slower
depending on the game.I've tested all my cards at 2X and 4X and found
no difference that cannot be attributed to bench test anomalies.
Because the speed of development of video cards overtaking the speed
of development of mother boards they are beating system RAM.
The TnT card was not a good example as it was a crap card to start
with :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

OK i give up, obviouisly no way in hell am i gonna pursuade you that 8x is
faster than 4x

No.Don't give up.You aren't wrong.Theoretically you are right but the
AGP 8X is mother board maker's hype to help sell their boards just
like the old Via protocols,"Fast Writes" and,"Side Band addressing".
There's nothing wrong in PC hardware maker's trying to push the
envelope but there is something wrong with people buying into it as if
it's,"Gospel".
Unfortunately many people think that if the starting point as 2X
and the newest is 8X then they must be better off.However if the
original premise was flawed then we are all being led down the wrong
path :/
In the very near future the correct and better 3d rendering engines
will use to older(and better),"Tiles" system of graphic rendering but
the,"Big" companies that use it will advertize it as totally new and
amazing.
"The more things change,the more they stay the same"

Click here,
http://tinyurl.com/iux9

:O)

--