FX5200 better than gforce 4?

Old February 6th 04, 09:17 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:05:33 -0500, Tim W.
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:42:24 +0000, Fidcal
wrote:

Short version: Is FX5200 better than gforce 4?

The FX5200 is a good value. I picked up a 128MB card from CompUSA on
sale under $60 after the rebate and am pleased with it. It's not as
good as my ATI 9600 Pro, but it was also half the price and works well
in my secondary system. It will play Need For Speed Underground
fairly nicely on my P-III 800 box.

Yeah... and for $15 more more (without a rebate) A card that is 2~3
times faster could be had.... hence the 5200 is a crap card....

But in a PIII system, a GF3 would be held back by that CPU.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 6th 04, 09:19 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:37:34 GMT, "Asestar"
)_nospam_ wrote:

Yepp... that's definitly better analogy.
But aren't dx9 capable cards (5700, 9600 for example) suppose to be faster
in dx9 games (when come out) than non-dx8 cards (ti4400 or 9500) of similiar
class and speed?

Nope - its about ABILITY for eye candy.

Generally, with video cards - as they ADD abilty - they ADD
performance... but as with the 5200 and ATI9600se - that is not always
the case.

Old February 6th 04, 09:27 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:17:49 -0500, Tim W.
wrote:

3 FPS DX9 .. yeah..wow!

The FX5200 may do DX9 but is to slow to do it on acceptable framerates!

Have you actually tried it? No.

Uh... look at the links I and others have provided from tomshardware -
and that was done on a P4 3.2Ghz system.

I have a 5200 in my home for a test setup, it doesn't actually get
used.... its a crap card for gaming.

So you add that to a slow CPU, then you have problems.

Actually, in a DX9 game like Need For Speed Underground, there are a
lot of eye candy features that you can't turn on unless your card has
DX9 support. It's not a speed issue so much as an issue of
apability. Even using an FX5200 allows you to select visual features
hat are not available with a non-DX9 card.

But because the 5200 performs like a 2 cyclner engine with broken
pistons, it doesn't matter - you cant USE those options and get game
play at the same time. Also NFS Underground isn't a very demanding
game.

A real video card can have ALL the settings cranked up on high and
playing in 1280x1024 or higher rez.

So features don't mean squat if you cant use them.

Te FX5200 is roughly comparable to the 9600SE card. I have one and it
Works fine. I realize that I am relying on personal experience rather
than heresay and benchmarks. Please forgive me...

True... depenidng on the 5200... for a PCI only system, its the best
you can get. It's still not even 1/2 the video card of a Ti4200.

My info is based on Personal experince and benchmarks from reputable
sources.

Here are the video cards in my home (some are not used in MY
computers)
9800Pro / 9000Pro / Ti4200 / 5200PCI / 5900. I've worked recently
with the 9200 and 9600se as well.

Old February 6th 04, 09:32 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:49:09 -0500, Tim W.
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:09:20 +0000, Andrew spamtrap@localhost wrote:

There are no exclusively DX9 games yet, but there are certainly games
that utilise DX9 features. Doom 3 will use OpenGL BTW.

If you don't have DX9, Need For Speed will not run at all.

bu bu BWAHAHAH Thats some seriously funny ****!

Man.. thats funny. You win the FOOL away for this MONTH.

DirectX 9 is the 3D standard by Microsoft. Yes, the game may require
it to play. The video card can be a DX7 GF2-MX and it'll still
play... crappy, but still load and run.

hence... there are NO games on the market that require ONLY DX9 video
cards.... as most of the market is still DX7...

DX7 = GF2 / GF4mx (renamed GF2 cards) ATI 7xxx.

And I supposed Intel's "Extreme3D" is a DX7, if that - which is what
is used in MOST computers.

Old February 6th 04, 09:39 AM
Andrew

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:32:30 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

DirectX 9 is the 3D standard by Microsoft. Yes, the game may require
it to play. The video card can be a DX7 GF2-MX and it'll still
play... crappy, but still load and run.

DirectX != Direct3D.

A game can require DX9 without requiring a graphics card that has DX9
Direct3D functions. Tim is correct.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.