SmartUSB56 modem crashes system while online

Old October 16th 03, 05:48 PM
Andreas Mitsis

Default SmartUSB56 modem crashes system while online

Hello,

I am having a problem with a USB device which is using SmartLink's
SmartUSB56 modem chipset (http://www.smlink.com):

Product : devolo Microlink 56k Fun USB
Driver Version : 3.20.04W (supplied 3.04.00DE)
Operating System : Windows 2000 Professional SP4

Hardware I use most of the time:

ASUS P5A-B Mainboard (ALi Aladdin V AGP System)
AMD K6-III 450 Mhz, 512MB RAM
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
Memory range: D6800000-D6800FFF
IRQ: 09

ALi IDE and AGP drivers in use

ALi IDE driver v.1.41
ALi AGP driver v.1.9 (WHQL certified)

Systems Southbridge

ALi M1533 PCI to ISA bridge, ALi 7101 APM controller

Systems Northbridge

ALi M1541 CPU to PCI bridge, PCI to AGP controller

The system crashes during an online session with a BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000D, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBEC61C5D)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** Address B95C9C5D base at B95B9000 DateStamp 3d6dbc94 - slnt7554.sys

I did a short analysis of the Minidump with dumpchk.exe:

************************************************** **************
**
** Windows 2000 Crash Dump Analysis
**
************************************************** **************
*
Filename . . . . . . .mini.dmp
Signature. . . . . . .PAGE
ValidDump. . . . . . .DUMP
MajorVersion . . . . .free system
MinorVersion . . . . .2195
DirectoryTableBase . .0x1f148000
PfnDataBase. . . . . .0x820da000
PsLoadedModuleList . .0x8046e1b8
PsActiveProcessHead. .0x8046e460
MachineImageType . . .i386
NumberProcessors . . .1
BugCheckCode . . . . .0x000000d1
BugCheckParameter1 . .0x0000000d
BugCheckParameter2 . .0x00000002
BugCheckParameter3 . .0x00000000
BugCheckParameter4 . .0xbec61c5d

ExceptionCode. . . . .0x80000003
ExceptionFlags . . . .0x00000001
ExceptionAddress . . .0x80468b6f

Because of the problem I took another run by flashing the latest BIOS:

ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS Revision 1011 Beta 005
(05/02/2002-ALADDIN5-P5A-B)

Bios settings

- SDRAM Config : default (by SPD)
- APM : disabled
- PCI IRQs : auto
- USB Function : enabled
- USB IRQ : auto

Downloaded an up-to-date driver for the modem from SmartLink's Website:

0. Removed the USB modem and unplugged it.
1. Deinstalled the SmartUSB56 driver (Add/Remove Programs).
2. Removed the USB root hub.
3. Removed the USB host controller.

After a clean restart the USB host was detected properly. Installed the new
driver and was bootstrapping the computer into Safe Mode

No multiple entries were found in the Device Manager
No IRQ Sharing of devices

Then again, I boot the system into Normal Mode. However, I've been out of
luck. Anytime I go online with this device the system still crashes sooner
or later :-( There are no patches for this USB host other than those
issued by Microsoft. Any thought would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
andreas
--
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk. Cut with an axe.

Odd: only MS Explorer crashes on home build system IceCube Homebuilt PC's 3 January 18th 04 05:47 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman Homebuilt PC's 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
fax/adsl modem 123xxxxx General 41 August 3rd 03 09:37 AM