New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes...list of what has been tried inside...

Old July 21st 03, 05:08 PM
John Q Public

Default New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes...list of what has been tried inside...

New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes

-Temps ok, voltages ok according to Asus PC Probe
-Windows XP Pro, clean install after format, also did a thorough
scandisk on c:\
-New Antec 400 Watt Power supply
-2100 XP Athlon
-512MB PC2100
-30GB primary IDE
-80 GB secondary IDE
-2 x 40GB in IDE RAID 0 via Promise PCI card=80GB
-TDK VeloCD 24/10/40 burner
-Sony DRU-500a DVD burner
-Original ATI All In Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR Sdram OEM

-No device manger conflicts listed.

-Have let Memtest86 3.0 run for 12 hours as of this writing, and no
errors found

I'm thinking it's either drivers that need updating and/or BIOS
settings related. ny other ideas? Thanks

Also, Is there a page like there was for the A7M266 that has all
recommended BIOS setings?
Old July 21st 03, 06:30 PM
Paul

In article , John Q Public
wrote:

[...]

Voltages within 5% tolerance ? Is the 3.3V low ?
If the PCI RAID card is the only plugin card, place in slot 2 (sep IRQ) ?

In Memtest86, run the extended tests.
Tell us whether one or two DIMMs.
You could check that memory is running at sync or 100%. I think right
now, your DDR266 memory matches the 266MHz FSB of your XP2100.

In event log, do the random blue screens implicate a particular driver?
Graphics driver related ?

Running Prime95 will stress processor and memory. Running 3DMark2001
will stress processor, memory, and graphics. Perhaps the crashes are
worse with one test than another, which might help ID the problem.

Did you sort out your CMOS/keyboard problems ?

What BIOS version are you currently running ?

According to this table, XP2100 Vcore is 1.6V - is that what the monitor
sees ? [ http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm ]

HTH,
Paul
Old July 22nd 03, 03:53 AM
John Q. Public

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:30:48 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , John Q Public
wrote:

[...]

Yes

Is the 3.3V low ?

No

If the PCI RAID card is the only plugin card, place in slot 2 (sep IRQ) ?

It is the only card, it is currently plugged in right below the AGP
video card

In Memtest86, run the extended tests.
Tell us whether one or two DIMMs.

2 dimms (2 x 256MB)

You could check that memory is running at sync or 100%. I think right
now, your DDR266 memory matches the 266MHz FSB of your XP2100.

Where is the setting in the bios for that "at sync"?

In event log, do the random blue screens implicate a particular driver?
Graphics driver related ?

Just says "system error" 0000000a
Blue screens sometimes say STOP 0x0000000A blah blah blah IRQ NOT LESS
OR EQUAL

Running Prime95 will stress processor and memory. Running 3DMark2001
will stress processor, memory, and graphics. Perhaps the crashes are
worse with one test than another, which might help ID the problem.

I haven't even done anything even remotely stressfull yet. Nothing but
web/newsgroup use!

Did you sort out your CMOS/keyboard problems ?

Yeah, seems it might have been reversed keyboard/mouse, still would
have had to clear the CMOS to get rid of the CPU has been changed
error though.

What BIOS version are you currently running ?

1004 I think...have to check

According to this table, XP2100 Vcore is 1.6V - is that what the monitor
sees ? [
http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm ]

No. Ever since I had the chip, on the old A7M266 board, it ran the
same voltage it is running at now on the new A7N8X, which is 1.75

HTH,
Paul

Old July 22nd 03, 05:14 PM
John Q. Public

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:08:36 -0400, John Q Public
wrote:

New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes

-Temps ok, voltages ok according to Asus PC Probe
-Windows XP Pro, clean install after format, also did a thorough
scandisk on c:\
-New Antec 400 Watt Power supply
-2100 XP Athlon
-512MB PC2100
-30GB primary IDE
-80 GB secondary IDE
-2 x 40GB in IDE RAID 0 via Promise PCI card=80GB
-TDK VeloCD 24/10/40 burner
-Sony DRU-500a DVD burner
-Original ATI All In Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR Sdram OEM

-No device manger conflicts listed.

A followup to the orginal post...both CDR and DVDR are now flagged in
device manager. I tried unplugging/replugging cables at all ends (incl
the board) starting WinXP with them unplugged, then starting with them
replugged, no difference.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:19 PM
John Q. Public

wrote:

New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes

-Temps ok, voltages ok according to Asus PC Probe
-Windows XP Pro, clean install after format, also did a thorough
scandisk on c:\
-New Antec 400 Watt Power supply
-2100 XP Athlon
-512MB PC2100
-30GB primary IDE
-80 GB secondary IDE
-2 x 40GB in IDE RAID 0 via Promise PCI card=80GB
-TDK VeloCD 24/10/40 burner
-Sony DRU-500a DVD burner
-Original ATI All In Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR Sdram OEM

-No device manger conflicts listed.

A followup to the orginal post...both CDR and DVDR are now flagged in
device manager. I tried unplugging/replugging cables at all ends (incl
the board) starting WinXP with them unplugged, then starting with them
replugged, no difference.

In yet another follow up, I just tried uninstalling both CDR/DVDR in
device manager, rebooting and letting WinXP redetect them, same deal,
they are both flagged with error message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver
may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

This is really starting to suck. I've had this board for about 4 days
now, and have yet to get the damn thing working. I never had any of
these problems with the A7M266, and all hardware is the exact same, so
I know it's gotta be the board, or it's settings
Old July 22nd 03, 06:02 PM
AJ

..

In yet another follow up, I just tried uninstalling both CDR/DVDR in
device manager, rebooting and letting WinXP redetect them, same deal,
they are both flagged with error message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver
may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Same here. Ran perfect for 10 days then I get a blue screen at bootup
saying I have an incompatable daughter board and 5 or 6 other
unsuported hardware items. My clean install of Win98SE 10 days ago had
already degenerated. System would never shut down on its own for the
last few days. Had the two explanation marks next to CD- burner and
DVD drive. Now I'm trying to reinstall windows but blue screens have
ruined the last three trys.
_________________________
If your PC gives a little, they give alot:
http://tinyurl.com/hhez
Old July 23rd 03, 05:22 PM
John Q Public

wrote:

New A7N8X Deluxe random blue screen crashes

-Temps ok, voltages ok according to Asus PC Probe
-Windows XP Pro, clean install after format, also did a thorough
scandisk on c:\
-New Antec 400 Watt Power supply
-2100 XP Athlon
-512MB PC2100
-30GB primary IDE
-80 GB secondary IDE
-2 x 40GB in IDE RAID 0 via Promise PCI card=80GB
-TDK VeloCD 24/10/40 burner
-Sony DRU-500a DVD burner
-Original ATI All In Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR Sdram OEM

-No device manger conflicts listed.

A followup to the orginal post...both CDR and DVDR are now flagged in
device manager. I tried unplugging/replugging cables at all ends (incl
the board) starting WinXP with them unplugged, then starting with them
replugged, no difference.

Ok, went back through system restore, day at a time until 3 days ago
when either Pinnacle Instant Copy or Unsigned driver install (I
believe for the Promise Fasttrak) apparently killed access to CDR/DVDR
drives. They now show up again. Both the above installs were working
fine though with the last board (A7M266) so hopefully since the PCI
Promise raid card was moved to a different slot, maybe I'll have
better luck this time when I install it's drivers...

SIGH