Decided on upgrade path but which Graphics card?

Old January 22nd 05, 03:25 PM
BillL

Default Decided on upgrade path but which Graphics card?

Hello all

I've decided to upgrade to a nforce4 Ultra mobo (Gigabyte), A64 (3200+),
SATA 2.0 HDD (250 - 300 GB Seagate) with my total budget being £530. However
I can't decide which PCI-E graphics card to get. I'm currently using a
Sapphire 9700 np and would like to improve on the performance of this card
(I'm heavily into games). I can't really stretch to a 6800/X800 card and
with the other components I guess I'll have a budget of around £150 for the
GPU. Any suggestions?

TIA

BillL

Old January 22nd 05, 09:03 PM
jacoby

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
Hello all

I've decided to upgrade to a nforce4 Ultra mobo (Gigabyte), A64 (3200+),
SATA 2.0 HDD (250 - 300 GB Seagate) with my total budget being £530.

However
I can't decide which PCI-E graphics card to get. I'm currently using a
Sapphire 9700 np and would like to improve on the performance of this card
(I'm heavily into games). I can't really stretch to a 6800/X800 card and
with the other components I guess I'll have a budget of around £150 for

the
GPU. Any suggestions?

TIA

BillL

Nvidia 6600gt would be my choice.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:47 AM
BillL

"jacoby" wrote in message

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
Hello all

I've decided to upgrade to a nforce4 Ultra mobo (Gigabyte), A64 (3200+),
SATA 2.0 HDD (250 - 300 GB Seagate) with my total budget being £530.

However
I can't decide which PCI-E graphics card to get. I'm currently using a
Sapphire 9700 np and would like to improve on the performance of this
card
(I'm heavily into games). I can't really stretch to a 6800/X800 card and
with the other components I guess I'll have a budget of around £150 for

the
GPU. Any suggestions?

TIA

BillL

Nvidia 6600gt would be my choice.

Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards the 6600GT but was slightly concerned
about the 128 bit interface, though I think the ATI X700's have this as
well.

BillL

Old January 23rd 05, 05:18 PM
jacoby

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...

Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards the 6600GT but was slightly

concerned
about the 128 bit interface, though I think the ATI X700's have this as
well.

BillL

You decided not to wait to March, eh? The 6600gt really shines in Doom3 over
the x700. The x800xl might be in your price range when it hits the streets
in any quantity to eliminate the price gouging.Whenever that will be. It
would be worth checking out status of the x800xl over there.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:23 PM
Ruel Smith

BillL wrote:

Hello all

I've decided to upgrade to a nforce4 Ultra mobo (Gigabyte), A64 (3200+),
SATA 2.0 HDD (250 - 300 GB Seagate) with my total budget being £530.
However I can't decide which PCI-E graphics card to get. I'm currently
using a Sapphire 9700 np and would like to improve on the performance of
this card (I'm heavily into games). I can't really stretch to a 6800/X800
card and with the other components I guess I'll have a budget of around
£150 for the GPU. Any suggestions?

Honestly, see if you can find a good 6800 model on sale somewhere. I'm in
the US, and the 128MB 6800 is normally around $299, but I occasionally see
one for sale at CompUSA or Best Buy for $249, and the 6600GT's are running
about $219, so it really isn't a whole lot more money for quite a bit more
card, IMO.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

Old January 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
jacoby

"Ruel Smith" wrote in message
Honestly, see if you can find a good 6800 model on sale somewhere. I'm in
the US, and the 128MB 6800 is normally around $299, but I occasionally see
one for sale at CompUSA or Best Buy for $249, and the 6600GT's are running
about $219, so it really isn't a whole lot more money for quite a bit more
card, IMO.

I personally have not seen any PCIe 6800 series cards on special at the
brick and mortars. Some agps though. But I agree a 6800 PCIe would be good.
Just a matter of the old "bang for the buck" criteria.