How large of a power supply do Inspiron 530s come with?

Old April 29th 08, 06:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default How large of a power supply do Inspiron 530s come with?

I've read that modern PCs should have at least a 300W power supply,
and even a 400W PS would be better if you want to expand. How large
are the power supplies for the Inspiron 530s?
Old April 29th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan[_2_]

Cant remember the numbers off the top of my head but it is dependent on the
cpu you choose. More powerfull cpu's, eg Q6600 come with a bigger power
supply. Some one else will probably quote the correct numbers for you but it
should be big enough for any expansion you plan to do. The size of the case
will probably be more of a concern with regard to expansion, what do you
plan to do expansion wise?

Robert

Old April 29th 08, 11:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
I've read that modern PCs should have at least a 300W power supply,
and even a 400W PS would be better if you want to expand. How large
are the power supplies for the Inspiron 530s?

It's a 250watt: (see page 162)
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...DU119A03MR.pdf

Not sure why you'd be looking at that (slim-line) machine if you 'want to
expand'. The slim chassis certainly reduces your upgrade and even power
supply replacement options.

Old April 29th 08, 01:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

It's a 250watt: (see page 162)http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...EN/OM/DU119A03...

Not sure why you'd be looking at that (slim-line) machine if you 'want to
expand'. The slim chassis certainly reduces your upgrade and even power
supply replacement options.

Sorry, I didn't mean the the slimline Inspiron 530s. I meant Inspiron
530, and I tried to pluralize it.
Old April 29th 08, 03:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Apr 29, 4:28*am, "Robert McMillan" wrote:
Cant remember the numbers off the top of my head but it is dependent on the
cpu you choose. More powerfull cpu's, eg Q6600 come with a bigger power
supply. Some one else will probably quote the correct numbers for you but it
should be big enough for any expansion you plan to do. The size of the case
will probably be more of a concern with regard to expansion, what do you
plan to do expansion wise?

I think it'd be cheaper to buy a second optical drive on my own,
instead of having Dell put it in. And who knows what my parents might
want in the future?

wrote in message

I've read that modern PCs should have at least a 300W power supply,
and even a 400W PS would be better if you want to expand. *How large
are the power supplies for the Inspiron 530s?- Hide quoted text -

Old April 29th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
On Apr 29, 6:48 am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

I've read that modern PCs should have at least a 300W power supply,
and even a 400W PS would be better if you want to expand. How large
are the power supplies for the Inspiron 530s?

It's a 250watt: (see page
162)http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...EN/OM/DU119A03...

Not sure why you'd be looking at that (slim-line) machine if you 'want to
expand'. The slim chassis certainly reduces your upgrade and even power
supply replacement options.

Sorry, I didn't mean the the slimline Inspiron 530s. I meant Inspiron
530, and I tried to pluralize it.

300w for Core2 and 350w for Quad Cores. Page 167
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../KP338A04D.pdf

I hate that they're hiding the system specs in a .pdf rather than .html as
they used to. PITA.

Old April 29th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Apr 29, 11:40*am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

300w for Core2 and 350w for Quad Cores. Page 167http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/EN/OM/KP338A04...

I hate that they're hiding the system specs in a .pdf rather than .html as
they used to. *PITA.

Thanks for finding that.
Old April 29th 08, 06:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:40 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: How large of a power supply do Inspiron 530s come with?

wrote in message
On Apr 29, 6:48 am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

I've read that modern PCs should have at least a 300W power

supply,
and even a 400W PS would be better if you want to expand. How

large
are the power supplies for the Inspiron 530s?

It's a 250watt: (see page

162)
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...s/EN/OM/DU119A
03...

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...N/OM/KP338A04D.
pdf

I hate that they're hiding the system specs in a .pdf rather than

..html
as
they used to. PITA.

Don't forget that Dell underrates their power supplies. They report
Sustained, rather than Peak. I'd take Dell's 350 over a generic 450.

Old April 29th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

On Apr 29, 6:48 am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Tom,

That is historically the case for Dell-badged supplies. However, the new
Inspiron/Vostro desktops come equipped with non-Dell badged PS's from (3)
different vendors - at least one of which also happens to supply for...

....eMachines. :-/

You may still be correct if Dell's requirements are somehow more stringent
with those vendors that other OEM's, but.......money being money.

fwiw

Stew

Old April 29th 08, 11:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Bestec power supplies in Dells? Auuuggggghhhhhh! Not a hallmark of quality.
A kiss of death. When a Bestec fails in a eGateMachine or HPaq, it often takes
the motherboard with it. I have a nice stack of empty eMachines cases here with
XP Home stickers. Honestly, the cases themselves are really sturdily made, but
you have to like the silver and black motif. Anybody want to buy some eMachines
cases cheap? ... Ben Myers

SNIP