My GeForce 7300 LE cant run in 1440x900 mode

Old July 21st 06, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
mattias73

Default My GeForce 7300 LE cant run in 1440x900 mode

I bouhgt a brand new DELL computer and tried pluggin it in to my
viewsonic va1912w widescreen. Dont work. Blurry picture.

Problem: Cant set the settings to 1440x900. Have to go with 1360x768
with black borders... so my 19 is now a 17 monitor.

This is what I tried:

Installing drivers for screen
Installing drivers for card, first as supplied from DELL then from
Nvidia
Adding my own mode 1440x900 in the nvidia settings dont work.. it does
not accept it
Installing "forceware" - dont work (what is nvidia forceware and how
does it differ from drivers?)
Call DELL....
Call monitor manifactures...
Mail Nvidia...

So far no luck.

Im relying on you now guys. Please help!

mattias

Old July 21st 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
mattias73

mattias73 skrev:

I bouhgt a brand new DELL computer and tried pluggin it in to my
viewsonic va1912w widescreen. Dont work. Blurry picture.

Problem: Cant set the settings to 1440x900. Have to go with 1360x768
with black borders... so my 19 is now a 17 monitor.

This is what I tried:

Installing drivers for screen
Installing drivers for card, first as supplied from DELL then from
Nvidia
Adding my own mode 1440x900 in the nvidia settings dont work.. it does
not accept it
Installing "forceware" - dont work (what is nvidia forceware and how
does it differ from drivers?)
Call DELL....
Call monitor manifactures...
Mail Nvidia...

So far no luck.

Im relying on you now guys. Please help!

mattias

update: I now somehow made the 1440x900 settings work. BUT after
reboot, the signal was not regonized by my screen.

solution: change to vga cable and do an advanced startup.

so: problem changed from not being able to use the correct screen
settings to not being able to use it with DVI input.

solutions?

Old July 22nd 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RaceFace

"Peter" wrote in message
try 1024 x 1280 for 19 inch

Great suggestion, except the Viewsonic va1912 is a widescreen (16:10)
monitor and the native resolution is 1440x900. 1280x1024 no workie. :P

RF.

Old July 22nd 06, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* mattias73:

I bouhgt a brand new DELL computer and tried pluggin it in to my
viewsonic va1912w widescreen. Dont work. Blurry picture.

Problem: Cant set the settings to 1440x900. Have to go with 1360x768
with black borders... so my 19 is now a 17 monitor.

Looks like the driver doesn't recognize that you have a widescreen
display...

This is what I tried:

Installing drivers for screen
Installing drivers for card, first as supplied from DELL then from
Nvidia
Adding my own mode 1440x900 in the nvidia settings dont work.. it does
not accept it
Installing "forceware" - dont work (what is nvidia forceware and how
does it differ from drivers?)

"ForceWare" is the name for Nvidias unified gfx drivers for all their
newer (i.e. GF2MX and later) gfx cards.

So basically you installed several more or less old drivers over and
over again, probably without a proper deinstallation of the previous
drivers, right? This is one of the best ways to mess up a system...

So for now, remove _all_ remainings of the drivers you installed (i.e.
with some driver cleaning tool), reboot(!), download the latest
ForceWare drivers from the Nvidia site and install them. After the next
reboot the widescreen modes should be available...

If that doesn't work it means your monitor doesn't provide it's
specifications over the DDC channel. The gfx driver relies on these
informations to enable widescreen modes...

Benjamin
Old July 22nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Hancock

Tuomas Koskinen wrote:
"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
So basically you installed several more or less old drivers over and
over again, probably without a proper deinstallation of the previous
drivers, right?

When talking about graphic card drivers, I have no info whatseover that one
should un-install
or de-install previous drivers, quite opposite like with Directx drivers, I
believe one should install every version of the driver. With directx drivers
you have to install directx 7.0 to direxct9c and every version in BETWEEN to
get them work right. As for graphic card drivers :
Always install directx x AGAIN after you have updated graphic card drivers.

There is no need to install every version of the driver, that's rather
utterly pointless. Same with DirectX..

As for Nvidia / Geforce drivers. They are troublesome graphic cards

If you follow your procedure, maybe..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old July 22nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Tuomas Koskinen:

When talking about graphic card drivers, I have no info whatseover that one
should un-install
or de-install previous drivers, quite opposite like with Directx drivers, I
believe one should install every version of the driver. With directx drivers
you have to install directx 7.0 to direxct9c and every version in BETWEEN to
get them work right.

That's nonsense. Installing the latest DirectX version (9.0c) works
fine, installing every version in between is simply useless and a waste
of time...

As for graphic card drivers :
Always install directx x AGAIN after you have updated graphic card drivers.

That's nonsense, too. There is no need to reinstall DirectX after
installing new gfx card drivers...

As for Nvidia / Geforce drivers. They are troublesome graphic cards

Again you're talking BS. Geforce-based cards usually don't cause much
problems, even less than ATI-based cards. Of course if you buy crappy
hardware or do nonsense like installing a dozen or so of different
DirectX versions then of course you might experience problems. But then
it's simply your fault...

Benjamin
Old July 23rd 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RaceFace

"Tuomas Koskinen" wrote in message
Well. Most people I have talked to tell me the difference. What you are
saying is that directx 9c
CONTAINS every directx released before that, I find it hard to believe.
Have
you ever used
a trainer (cheat). They only work with the PRECISE version of the game,
which might be 1.05.
If you have a newer or older version it does not work. I still honestly
believe that windows xp
does not contain every directx version earlier than dx9c. I find it hard
believe that you could
get any game to run properly without installing every single directx in
the
right order, and there
are many of them.

Most people you've talked to know absolutely nothing about computers,
apparently.

The current version of DirectX is the ONLY one you need to install. That's
it. Until they release a new version, which will either patch, or overwrite
entirely the currently installed version. You should never install a
non-current version of it. DirectX 9 contains all the code needed to run
DirectX 8, or Dx7, or Dx6 coded games, and it doesn't matter if you find it
hard to believe. It's a fact.

XP does not contain every version of DirectX ever made. Why? It doesn't
need to! There is absolutely no need to ever install DirectX 7 on an XP
equipped machine for the reason I stated above.

Installing every driver version for a video card is equally ludicrous. It's
like buying a car and insisting they put every engine that was ever made for
it, under the hood at once.

Also, equating some cheat for a game to operating system related files is
one of the silliest analogies I've ever seen, by the way.

RF.

Old July 23rd 06, 11:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Tuomas Koskinen:

Well. Most people I have talked to tell me the difference.

Then these people simply have no f***ing clue what they are talking
about. Better get advises from people that have a bit more competency...

As to the stupid idea or installing every old DirectX and gfx driver
release that has been made before the current one, RatFace already said
everything that has to be said about it. Believe it or not, no-one
cares, but it's a fact.

Benjamin
Old July 23rd 06, 11:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Tuomas Koskinen:

Well. Most people I have talked to tell me the difference.

Then these people simply have no f***ing clue what they are talking
about. Better get advises from people that have a bit more competency...

As to the stupid idea of installing every old DirectX and gfx driver
release that has been made before the current one, RaceFace already said