XP hangs. Microsoft error report says update the video drivers

Old March 31st 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default XP hangs. Microsoft error report says update the video drivers

About once a day, my XP Professional hangs; mouse and keyboard dead.
Only option is to press the reset button when it restarts without any
errors reported. If I leave it it sometimes restarts on its own accord
and then a Microsoft error report says update the video drivers. Also
to reduce the hardware acceleration at
DesktopPropertiesSettingsAdvancedTroubleshoot.

Video graphics card is GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X. I have downloaded
and installed the latest drivers
84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe. And reduced hardware
acceleration to 2/5. Still have the problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Old April 1st 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I don't have an answer, but have additional information. I have a
GeForce MX 4000 and have tried all the drivers from the one that came
with the video card up to and including 84.21.

When I first do a cold start, I normally will not get an error.
However if I go to newsgroups through outlook or through IE6, the
machine will lock up and reboot. I can make this happen every time,
and after the reboot, the error you mention sometimes occurs and
sometimes not - but the machine functions as it should from there on.

I, too, would appreciate any new advice.

Old April 1st 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

withers wrote:
About once a day, my XP Professional hangs; mouse and keyboard dead.
Only option is to press the reset button when it restarts without any
errors reported. If I leave it it sometimes restarts on its own accord
and then a Microsoft error report says update the video drivers. Also
to reduce the hardware acceleration at
DesktopPropertiesSettingsAdvancedTroubleshoot.

Video graphics card is GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X. I have downloaded
and installed the latest drivers
84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe. And reduced hardware
acceleration to 2/5. Still have the problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

What kind of motherboard is this? Depending on the chipset you might
need to update your AGP drivers or system BIOS.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from