Ghost 10 sucks for drive cloning....

Old February 6th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Ghost 10 sucks for drive cloning....

....in a consumer environment. The GUI is great, but unfortunately it doesn't
like producing a copied, bootable drive.

It's just me, isn't it.

Funny. DriveWizard works like a stinkin' charm.......

That is all.

Stew

Old February 7th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

FWIW, I've used Ghost starting back with version 5 or 6, all the way up to
and including 10.

Ghost used to be very easy to use, but somewhere around ver 2003 then 9 and
10, it lost it's ease of use for me.

I tried Acronis TrueImage when they came out with ver 8.0 and now that's
what I use for imaging as well as cloning. It just seems to be (at least to
me) as easy to use as Ghost used to be.

another benifit of TrueImage is you can download a 15-day trial version to
give you a chance to try it before deciding whether or not to buy it.

Old February 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

hrdtd wrote:

FWIW, I've used Ghost starting back with version 5 or 6, all the way up to
and including 10.

Ghost used to be very easy to use, but somewhere around ver 2003 then 9 and
10, it lost it's ease of use for me.

I tried Acronis TrueImage when they came out with ver 8.0 and now that's
what I use for imaging as well as cloning. It just seems to be (at least to
me) as easy to use as Ghost used to be.

another benifit of TrueImage is you can download a 15-day trial version to
give you a chance to try it before deciding whether or not to buy it.

snip

True Image 9.0 was released a while back, but was riddled with bugs.

The latest release (2337) has been out since 1/5/06, and is more like
what the initial release should have been.

For discussions about True Image, have a look at:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Notan
Old February 7th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Stew,

Ghost 9 and 10 are very similar. See if this works.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaB...819 57;start=

Old February 7th 06, 03:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Brian K" iibntgyea4 wrote in message
Stew,

Ghost 9 and 10 are very similar. See if this works.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaB...819 57;start=

Thanks, Brian. I don't know that I've ticked/enabled the exact combination
mentioned in the post, but I could try it.........though I'm not sure I want
to.

DriveWizard:

Drive Upgrade/ click C: as source, D: as destination / click upgrade / tick
"full upgrade".

Done. Repeatable, bootable clone.

I am familiar with the options listed for Ghost in that posting. Thanks for
the link.

Stew

Old February 7th 06, 06:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks, Brian. I don't know that I've ticked/enabled the exact
combination mentioned in the post, but I could try it.........though I'm
not sure I want to.

Stew, I thought you wanted to clone an OS partition (Copy My Hard Drive).
This feature should only be used when upgrading to a new HD.

Old February 7th 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

rubbish, isn't it. usual story of symantec buying out a perfectly good
product, and turning it into poo by shovelling in a load of features
that weren't required, and removing ones that were. grr.

Old February 7th 06, 11:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"ric" wrote in message
oups.com...
rubbish, isn't it. usual story of symantec buying out a perfectly good
product, and turning it into poo by shovelling in a load of features
that weren't required, and removing ones that were. grr.

Nail = Head.

All I want is a simple utility that can create an exact bootable
copy/clone - not an image. It's my opinion that it should not be this
convoluted. I ought to be able to manually create a bootable clone, the set
the schedule to repeat that operation as needed and have it be reliable.

shrug......

Old February 7th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Matching 80gb SATA drives, 2nd drive wiped and clean. Best I could do was
produce a disk that booted to the Windows 'welcome' screen and then hung,
all though all of the directories seem to be there when exploring from the
main boot drive.

Ghost wants to suggest that an application is accessing the drive on
occasion near the end of the copy; I disabled system restore on the slave
drive and verified no swap file on the drive.

Even on the attempts with no errors that appeared successful, still no
joy.

As I said, same operation with DriveWizard produced a bootable disk in the
first attempt.

I've got to be able to have the end user perform this backup w/o confusion
and predictably and reliably.

Stew

I'm not suggesting that Ghost 10 is your desired software but I am
interested in why it didn't work. Your example above suggests a MBR error.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm see Method #3

I haven't used DriveWizard but it does seem more suitable for your end user
if it works every time. Ghost 9/10 does work but you have to follow the
instructions exactly. If you try it again, I'd be interested in the results.