CPU Over clocking

Old March 11th 04, 08:09 AM
redrider

Default CPU Over clocking

Intel makes 3 cpu's that are 3.0g, how can one tell if they are getting the
better one for over clocking?

Old March 11th 04, 12:11 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"redrider" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
Intel makes 3 cpu's that are 3.0g, how can one tell if they are getting

the
better one for over clocking?

C or EE (Northwood.) 800 Fsb
E = (Prescott) Also 800 Fsb or (full bus speed) the hardest to Overclock. Or
so I read very many times.
I have a P4 2.6c @ 3.23 GHz
Intel Pentium 4c 3.06 GHz with 800 fsb (Northwood) Very good.
Intel Pentium 4c 3.06 GHz with 800 fsb Extreme Edition (Northwood) As far as
I know, also very good.
They cost a lot though.
Intel Pentium 4c 3.06 GHz with 800 fsb (Prescott) If you want to spend a lot
for water cooling, can be very good too.
But the other two can be cooled on air only. Or at least I think you
don't need anything extra for the EE, but they do cost
a lot..
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

Old March 11th 04, 12:28 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message
"redrider" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
[...]

We both missed one
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-154&depa=0
Newegg.com
P4b 3.06 GHz
Four CPU's at the same speed..
Well now, I thought they made an 800 Fsb in a 3.06 GHz CPU, but I cant seem
to find one.

Old March 11th 04, 12:31 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

PriceGrabber.com

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g.../search=Pentiu
m%25204/ut=445569eb6e736f5c
Not really much cheaper @ newegg either..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...cription=3%2E0

Old March 11th 04, 02:13 PM
David Maynard

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

[...]

You won't. 200 doesn't divide into 3060 (no valid multiplier) so 'it
can't be', at least not as long an Intel is using only whole and half
multipliers.

133 divides in for 23, though, so it's a 533 FSB processor.

Old March 11th 04, 09:43 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"David Maynard" wrote in message
Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

[...]

Oh yeah, You can't overclock a 533FBS 133 (true fsb)
Ah dah?! me :-( My bad..
Denny.

Old March 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Ed Forsythe

FSB = Front Side Bus not Full Bus Speed
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old March 14th 04, 03:54 AM
David Maynard

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message

et.cable.rogers.com...

Intel makes 3 cpu's that are 3.0g, how can one tell if they are

getting

the

better one for over clocking?

C or EE (Northwood.) 800 Fsb
E = (Prescott) Also 800 Fsb or (full bus speed) the hardest to

800 is the bus speed...
The FSB is really only 200 (x) the multi.
In other words, it's 200 Quad Pumped to 800 Bus Speed
Or 200x4=800

[...]

Same with this in a very real way.
but it ends up at 532,

No, it's 533. Well, actually, 533.3333333333.... because it's quad
pumped, I.E. 4 times 133.3333333.....

it just sounds better to call it 533 FSB then it
does to call it 133 FSB

No, it's called 533 because that's the bus transfer rate.

They call a single data rate 133MHz clocked bus 133 because that's the
bus transfer rate (once per clock) and they call a double data transfer
rate 133Mhz clocked bus 266 because that's the data transfer rate (twice
per clock). Quad pumped is 533 (4 times per clock).

Do almost any benchmark on a P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz against a 2400+ or higher.
The 2400+ won't always keep up, but it also won't be far behind.
If this was a (True FSB) It would beat all sides of a 2400+ without a
problem.
How do I know this? I've had both, and ran enough benchmarks to make
your head spin.
I've also worked with Overclocking both, so I would know what the true FSB's
would be.
Why do you think the AMD 64FX51's are doing so well? It's cause it's a True
400FSB...

And just what 'significance' do you attribute to what you call a "true FSB?"

Old March 14th 04, 06:10 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message

t.cable.rogers.com...

[...]

but it ends up at 532, it just sounds better to call it 533 FSB then it
does to call it 133 FSB

Old March 14th 04, 07:43 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message

et.cable.rogers.com...

[...]

cpuz lists fsb and bus speed.
ty much, your right, I guess I forgot the FSB of the P4b is 133.33 and then
some.
Mine is, going by cpuz = 248 MHz FSB
Bus Speed 993.7 MHz
For an and total of 3229.5 (3.23 GHz) It's only .5 away, why the heck not
just call it 3.23..

Also, Thanks ever so much for the info of what Quad Pumped stands for.
I Can understand this now much better then I use to.
I thank you again, and I think we have the point out well..
Denny. :-) Smile & stuff.....

AMD TBird 1.2 only clocking at 500 MHz Bob Overclocking AMD Processors 2 September 1st 04 06:07 PM
need info or spec for over clocking Randy Einarson Overclocking 9 February 16th 04 10:09 PM
RAM clocking Kirk Overclocking 3 December 9th 03 05:01 PM
clocking for the stupid! Petbeemer Overclocking 2 July 20th 03 12:26 AM