w2k chkdsk "windows replaced bad clusters in file" question

Old August 11th 05, 04:48 AM

Default w2k chkdsk "windows replaced bad clusters in file" question

When Windows 2000 checkdisk chkdsk reports "windows replaced bad
clusters in file" does that mean that data was lost or not?

I got the message on while doing a chkdsk /f /r on an 80GB supposedly
refurbished Seagate ST380011A hard drive - on three large ISO type
files.

However when chkdsk completed it said there were no bad sectors found.

So, does this mean that:

Option 1: the redunancy of ntfs most likely allowed the drive's "SMART"
functionality to a.) not have lost any data in the first place because
of the redunancy of ntfs, and b.) that the starting to flake out
sections of the ISO files was reallocated to a different sector;

or, option 2: that because there's no good documentation what the
chkdsk message "windows replaced bad clusters in file" really means who
knows - maybe the three large ISO files which it reported that message
for really do now have some corruption.

On a side note I've been testing spinrite, but it's so very slow I've
almost thought about setting up a spare computer in another room just
for the sole purpose of running spinrite on it (and so that I won't
have to listen to a computer while I attempt to sleep).

Old August 11th 05, 02:01 PM
old jon

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Supposedly Refurbished ?. What the hell does that mean ?. Has someone
cleaned it, and reformatted it ?. Download the hard drive test tools from
Seagate, and test the drive. you don`t want to lose your (valuable ?.) data
do you ?.
best wishes..OJ

Old August 11th 05, 06:31 PM
Eric Gisin

Google groups on "windows replaced bad clusters in file" comes up with clues.

Sometimes chkdsk reports bad sectors, sometimes not.
Check for errors in event viewer and drive diagnostics.

Some people are getting this error only on pagefile.sys
and compressed folders like system32\dllcache.
That suggests there is a bug in chkdsk,
perhaps it is reading out-of-bounds sectors.

Old August 11th 05, 08:05 PM
aleX

[...]

Slightly OT, but I had a similar problem with ISO files and chkdsk. I
didn't realise at the time that when you create an ISO, the file it
creates can be very fragmented. I was copying and moving these 4Gb
'files' around on the hard drive, then suddenly the hard drive stopped
responding. Not surprising really, given the processing power required
to shift huge fragmented files around. Stupidly I rebooted, and chkdsk
started up. My index was damaged, and I made the mistake of letting
chkdsk 'fix' the problem. After about 24 hours, I was left with an
unintelligible mess. Small files had been joined together into one big
file, mp3's not joined together were all stripped of their leading 32k
(info tags), the 32k segments all left on the drive, some files just
plain gone, and all files were renamed to long meaningless strings. I
had to look at every one in turn to see what it was and whether I could
fix it.

If you can copy or recover any vital files to another drive before using
chkdsk I would recommend doing so.
Old August 11th 05, 10:22 PM
Rod Speed

aleX wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That is just plain wrong. Fragmented files
have no effect on processing power at all.

Old August 11th 05, 10:43 PM
aleX

Rod Speed wrote:

Slightly OT, but I had a similar problem with ISO files and chkdsk. I
didn't realise at the time that when you create an ISO, the file it
creates can be very fragmented. I was copying and moving these 4Gb
'files' around on the hard drive, then suddenly the hard drive stopped
responding. Not surprising really, given the processing power required
to shift huge fragmented files around.

That is just plain wrong. Fragmented files
have no effect on processing power at all.

Thanks for letting me know, I won't erroneously describe it again.

I assumed that the system would need to keep track of where each
'fragment' was, rather than just a start and end point for a contiguous
file, hence take far longer. This probably isn't the case though, I'm no
expert, or anything approaching. What I do know is that chkdsk destroyed
a lot of the files on my drive, admittedly after I stupidly restarted
the machine when it may still have been processing.
Old August 12th 05, 01:02 AM
Rod Speed

aleX wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Slightly OT, but I had a similar problem with ISO files and chkdsk.
I didn't realise at the time that when you create an ISO, the file
it creates can be very fragmented. I was copying and moving these
4Gb 'files' around on the hard drive, then suddenly the hard drive
stopped responding. Not surprising really, given the processing
power required to shift huge fragmented files around.

That is just plain wrong. Fragmented files
have no effect on processing power at all.

Thanks for letting me know, I won't erroneously describe it again.

I assumed that the system would need to keep track of where each
'fragment' was, rather than just a start and end point for a contiguous file,

Yes.

hence take far longer.

The effort required to do that is completely trivial processing power wise.

This probably isn't the case though, I'm no expert, or anything approaching.
What I do know is that chkdsk destroyed a lot of the files on my drive,
admittedly after I stupidly restarted the machine when it may still have been
processing.

Yeah, tho it would have stalled for some other reason.

It certainly wouldnt have been due to fragmentation.

CHKDSK killed my OpenGL subsystem Skybuck Flying Nvidia Videocards 17 April 28th 10 10:30 AM
Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program Raymond A. Chamberlin Scanners 18 January 10th 05 08:52 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Radeon 7500 Saphire Windows ME Problem Pamela and Howard Signa Gateway Computers 5 February 17th 04 10:07 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM