P4P800 as a server

Old July 14th 03, 07:23 AM
Rollin

Default P4P800 as a server

Hi, anyone have thoughts on using something like a P4P800 or any of the
latest Asus desktop boards in a server?

I currently have a P4T 1.4ghz w/512mb rdram which has served me quite well
hosting a mysql transactional database in Redhat 8.0 but now I am running
into cpu bottleneck and are running low in the expensive to upgrade PC800
RDRAM.

I am on a tight budget so I am bit reluctant to shell out for a dual XEON
unless it is absolutely necessary for what I am doing. If I go with a
single XEON processor to start out I do not see the benefit as the 512k L2
cache sizes are the same compared to the P4 HT processors. The mobos with
serverworks chipset on the XEON boards is quite expensive and I am not quite
sure the benefit of that chipset, if there is one, is worth the expense.

Will a single HT enabled P4 3ghz, 800mhz FSB, PC3200 DD400 outperform a dual
XEON 2.0ghz, 400FSB, PC2700?

Anyone have any recommendations? thx

-- R.H.

Old July 14th 03, 04:54 PM
Rollin

"Henno Keers" wrote in message

"Rollin" rollinhand@nospam wrote in message
[...]

At least as good as Asus: http://www.supermicro.com

reg, Henno

The Supermicro X5DPA-GG looks like a good fit in dual XEON board. You do
not hear much about Asus and dual XEONs. I still wonder if a hyperthreaded
P4 3ghz above will beat out a dual XEON 2.4.

Old July 15th 03, 06:59 AM
Henno Keers

"Rollin" rollin@nospam wrote in message

[...]

Supermicro is a rather specialized company with only a couple of
"mainstream-enduser" boards, most of their solutions are server-boards,
which are excellent.
About the comp between the P4-3 and the 2xX-2.4, I think that the P4 is
beaten, the XEON's have huge 2nd level caches, and a multi-cpu OS with the
right mobo makes them fly.

reg, Henno.

Old July 15th 03, 02:01 PM
Rollin

[...]

Actually the new hyperthreading CPUs have 512k L2 cache therefore matching
the cache size on the XEONs. The new 1mb cache for the XEON's only just
came out and does not appear to be shipping yet.

What do you think about the ASUS desktop boards being used as servers?

reg, Henno.

64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd AMD x86-64 Processors 0 September 17th 04 09:07 PM
Review: "Build Your Own Server", Caputo Paul Homebuilt PC's 0 September 8th 04 10:20 PM
Salvage Server Project Ablang General 0 July 27th 04 02:30 AM
Rackmount server specifications News General 0 May 20th 04 06:16 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! TEL Overclocking AMD Processors 0 January 1st 04 06:59 PM