Faster AGP card that Ti-4200

Old December 30th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Default Faster AGP card that Ti-4200

I have a TI-4200 AGP card today, but in Half-Life 2 (and other Source
games) it's way to slow, and it also lacks DX9 hardware support :-(

But as I am very found of my Asus P4PE mainboard I don't want to
change that. So if I buy a new video-card it will be a AGP one.

And then I don't want it to cost too much (as I will have to change it
again when I buy a new mainboard, since new ones don't have AGP).

So is there a newver faster cards with DX9 that won't cost to much?

The requirements is 60 FPS in Half-Life 2 with AA(Q) at 800x600 res
(that's what I run today, but now w/o AA and only gettiing 30 FPS)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live
Old December 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

The Radeon 9800 Pro is legendary:

You can also get a Geforce 7600GS. More expensive, but can probably let you
run HL2 at 1600x1200 smoothly.

. ..

Old December 30th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a TI-4200 AGP card today, but in Half-Life 2 (and other
Source games) it's way to slow, and it also lacks DX9 hardware
support :-(

But as I am very found of my Asus P4PE mainboard I don't want

change that. So if I buy a new video-card it will be a AGP

one.

And then I don't want it to cost too much (as I will have to

change
it again when I buy a new mainboard, since new ones don't have

AGP).

So is there a newver faster cards with DX9 that won't cost to

much?

The requirements is 60 FPS in Half-Life 2 with AA(Q) at

800x600 res
(that's what I run today, but now w/o AA and only gettiing 30

FPS)

Here's a chart from Tom's Hardware that includes the Ti4200.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/...iii/page4.html

Here's a benchmark for Half-Life 2. Any card on the chart would
run HL2 at 60FPS 800x600. I would jump to 1024x768 at least. How
much is 'cost too much' money?

Look through the benchmarks.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/page7.html

Newegg has the BFG 7800GS OC for $175.99. The 7600GT is a fast
card and might be a little cheaper; look around.

TMC

Old December 31st 06, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BigJim

I went from a 4200 to 6600gt and it works fine for hl2 and fear but with
fear I had to reduce
some of the eye candy. The 7600gs is pretty close to the 6600gt. Friend of
mine just bought
one from compusa for 129 dollars after rebate. It is agp and 512 meg of ram.
He likes it. His basic system is 2.8 gig p4, 1 gig of ram on a asus
p4s800d-x board.

Old December 31st 06, 12:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

First of One wrote:

You can also get a Geforce 7600GS. More expensive, but can probably let you
run HL2 at 1600x1200 smoothly.

That is not needed, so if there is a cheaper one that can run HL2 at
800x600 smoothly (with full AA) at 60 fps that is all that I need.

As I said: Cheap, smooth 800x600, AA, 60 fps, AGP, and TV out.
Old December 31st 06, 12:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

BigJim wrote:

some of the eye candy. The 7600gs is pretty close to the 6600gt. Friend of
mine just bought

Faster or slower?

one from compusa for 129 dollars after rebate. It is agp and 512 meg of ram.
He likes it. His basic system is 2.8 gig p4, 1 gig of ram on a asus
p4s800d-x board.

I have a P4PE with 2.54 GHz and 512MB so that is pretty close to his
Old December 31st 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:

Look through the benchmarks.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/page7.html

But this chart is without any AA. And if I first would get a new card.
Isn't there any FPS chart with AA on on the same cards anywhere?
Old December 31st 06, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:

Look through the benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/page7.html

But this chart is without any AA. And if I first would get a

new
card. Isn't there any FPS chart with AA on on the same cards
anywhere?

The next page in the article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...vii/page8.html

TMC

Old December 31st 06, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

BigJim wrote:

some of the eye candy. The 7600gs is pretty close to the 6600gt. Friend of
mine just bought

These cards are listed as having HDTV-out. Will that connector work
with a non-HDTV television set as well (using a S-video cable) as I do
now. If not that is not really useful :-)

BTW: Is there a full list over screemn resolutions somewhere for the
cards. They only state max, but not a list over what is possible.

I use 1152x864 today (1280x1024 give to small text) and need to know
if a new card (like a 7600GS) will support that analog/digital res.

BTW: Asus is claiming that the 7600GS is 25% faster than the 6600?
Old December 31st 06, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

I see that these 7600GS and 7600GT cards have no additional
power-connector. Does that mean they pull all the power through the
AGP-slot. Will that work OK with my Asus P4PE mainboard (I don't want
to fry the mainboard) and will they work with the P4PE AGP-slot (I'm
not sure that is 8x, possibly only 4x, will that slow down things?)