Screen Resolution

Old August 11th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Canid

Default Screen Resolution

I just bought a new monitor and the recommended screen resolution is
1680x1050
This is not on the list when I try to change the resolution.
I have a "ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X (GT-C2U2)" graphics card, what can I
do about this problem?

Old August 12th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

You are probably out of luck. If your video system is based on a "Rage
Pro" chip, it's ANCIENT, truly ancient (late 1990's?), and it probably
can't support a resolution anywhere near that high.

Old August 12th 06, 12:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
HH

I agree with the poster that says it's time to upgrade your video card. The
Rage Pro is about 5 generations back. Time for a new card.

HH

oups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Canid

I'd rather not replace this one if I don't have to. I don't use
programs that require fancy 3D graphics cards.
I have a graphics tablet for use with Photoshop, everything displays
properly.
The screen resolution thing is my only problem, because it messes up
the HxW ratio on the screen, and something I draw that looks normal to
me on the screen will look slightly squished everywhere else, and visa
versa.
I want to take advantage of the full width of the new screen, so I need
to correct this.

HH wrote:
I agree with the poster that says it's time to upgrade your video card. The
Rage Pro is about 5 generations back. Time for a new card.

HH

oups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

I understand the principle of your post, but that card is really, really
ancient, I think it's from the 1990's. In this case, you really should
replace the card (and not just because of the resolution). Look, you
can buy a used 32 or 64 megabyte ATI Radeon 7500 or something like that
for probabaly $10 to $20 and you will have a somewhat modern card, with
DVI and analog dual outputs, that has a chance of supporting your new
modern display. To continue using a card THAT old is nuts.

HH wrote:

I agree with the poster that says it's time to upgrade your video card. The
Rage Pro is about 5 generations back. Time for a new card.

HH

groups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Canid

I'd consider it if it would make a real difference.
I have no intention of hooking up our computer as a television/dvd
player and I'm not a gamer. I browse the net and paint in photoshop.
Would updating my graphics card make a difference to those activities?

Regarding the other option though, would downloading this diver solve
my problem?
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...uestionID=1298

Thank-you everyone for your continuing help here.

Old August 12th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Barry Watzman:

I understand the principle of your post, but that card is really, really
ancient, I think it's from the 1990's.

Of course it's not (there was not even PCI in 1990, forget about AGP or
any consumer gfx cards with 3D capabilities like the Rage Pro). It's
"only" around 9 years old (the Rage Pro is from 1997)...

Benjamin
Old August 12th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Canid:

I just bought a new monitor and the recommended screen resolution is
1680x1050
This is not on the list when I try to change the resolution.
I have a "ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X (GT-C2U2)" graphics card, what can I
do about this problem?

Scrap the card. Yes, really. The Rage Pro of course is not from 1990 but
it was already crap when it came out 1997. The drivers are awful and of
course don't know **** about widescreen resolutions like 1680x1050.
Besides that, these cards are from an aera where there was no DVI, so
the only way to connect a modern display is the analog VGA connector
which usually results in a poorer image quality.

I understand that this methusalem was enough for your needs but it's
really time to let it go and move on. A much better GF2MX card can be
had for a few bucks. These cards are not only much faster, they often
have DVI and they also support the 1680x1050 and other widescreen
resolutions...

Benjamin
Old August 13th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* The Kat:

I have a Radeon AIW 9600, and IT 'didn't know' about widescreen resolutions,
but it worked fine with the drivers included with my new wide-screen LCD.

Wrong. Of course your card "did know" about widescreen resolutions. But
the drivers from ATI and also Nvidia only list them when the gfx(!)
driver recognizes a widescreen display...

BTW: there are no "monitor drivers", period. The thing that usually is
incorrectly called "monitor driver" is just a plain text file that tells
the gfx drivers what resolutions and refresh rates the monitor supports.
That's all.

These cards are not only much faster,

Faster in what?

Of course in 3D, but also in 2D operations...

Benjamin
Old August 13th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

1990's would include cards from 1990 to 1999, by which time (1999) I
think that the Rage Pro had been discontinued.

* Barry Watzman: