Strange sound

Old January 14th 04, 05:48 PM
Chris

Default Strange sound

My video card fan has started to make a rather strange grinding sound that
gets better and worse, however, it's extremely annoying and doesn't sound
normal. I'm using a XFY Geforce FX 5600, and I was wondering how to fix this
problem.

Thanks!

Old January 14th 04, 06:01 PM
John Fraser

Good afternoon Chris;

"Chris" wrote in message
My video card fan has started to make a rather strange grinding sound that
gets better and worse, however, it's extremely annoying and doesn't sound
normal. I'm using a XFY Geforce FX 5600, and I was wondering how to fix

this
problem.

Thanks!

Bad bearings or the blades are rubbing on something. I have a wire used
as a case temperature probe and sometimes it tends to wander into the fan.
The other solution is to open the case to see if anything is in contact. If
that's not a problem, then the bearings are gone either by dust or wearing.
You can try some lubricant, but it's best to replace the fan if the bearings
are gone.

If you're really into odd stuff, power supply?

Cheers,
John

Old January 14th 04, 06:23 PM
Alan

My video card fan has started to make a rather strange grinding sound that
gets better and worse, however, it's extremely annoying and doesn't sound
normal. I'm using a XFY Geforce FX 5600, and I was wondering how to fix

this
problem.

send it back to the place it came from, the fan is dieing

alan

Old January 14th 04, 07:08 PM
Chris

Now it's running sort of silently, but it's still loud. Is there anything I
can do so I don't need the fan to run and get rid of the risk of
overheating?
Also, where exactly can I purchase a replacement fan?

Thanks!

Old January 14th 04, 07:25 PM
Sith Lord

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:23:42 +0000 (UTC) in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "Alan"
wrote:

send it back to the place it came from, the fan is dieing

Playing craps? :-)

Old January 14th 04, 09:42 PM
Robert Gault

"Chris" wrote in message

My video card fan has started to make a rather strange grinding sound that
gets better and worse, however, it's extremely annoying and doesn't sound
normal. I'm using a XFY Geforce FX 5600, and I was wondering how to fix

this

problem.

Thanks!

If the fan stops, the card will overheat. It is possible to remove the
fan from the heatsink and lubricate the bearing (sleeve on cheap fans).
You may also see a teflon spacer that has slipped or deformed. This is
used to keep the fan shaft from rubbing against the heatsink.

I have added sewing machine oil and replaced a deformed teflon spacer on
my Ti-4200 card. The fan now works with much less noise.

You won't easily find a replacement fan but stores like CompUSA carry
replacement heatsink/fan combos. They're not cheap at about $35.

If you attempt to repair the fan, be careful with the fan end seals. The
glued on plastic film will need to be reset when you are finished. The
film must be partially lifted off the fan to access the bearing and
spacer (if present).

Old January 14th 04, 11:19 PM
John Lewis

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:48:21 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

My video card fan has started to make a rather strange grinding sound that
gets better and worse, however, it's extremely annoying and doesn't sound
normal. I'm using a XFY Geforce FX 5600, and I was wondering how to fix this
problem.

Thanks!

Check for wires rubbing on fan blades.

Remove fan. Inject a little Triflow(TM) teflon lubricant
(Sherwin-Williams, many bicycle shops carry
it. Much better than WD40-yuk, or any oil ).
Replace fan.
I have successfully treated noisy computer-fans
for many years with Triflow with enormous sucess.
If the noise has just started and the excess bearing
wear is still minimal, Triflow should do the trick.

John Lewis