Which card to change FX5200 to?

Old January 12th 04, 04:41 PM
Peter Connolly

Default Which card to change FX5200 to?

I've just built a new machine - Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1Gb RAM, AMD 2800+
processor, and a 128Mb FX5200 card. Everything works fine, but benchmarking
(and a browse around this group) tells me that the FX5200 is the bottleneck.
So it's got to go!

I *don't* want to overclock a new card, I *do* want to stay with nVidia, and
I *don't* want to spend lots of money....the card must be cost effective
(thinking less than $200/£150, but can be convinced otherwise).

It's not my prime machine, and to be honest, it will spend it's life playing
games. What would be the recommended card for my system?

Thanks in advance,

Pete.

Old January 12th 04, 05:34 PM
Albert

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:41:15 -0000, "Peter Connolly"
wrote:

I've just built a new machine - Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1Gb RAM, AMD 2800+
processor, and a 128Mb FX5200 card. Everything works fine, but benchmarking
(and a browse around this group) tells me that the FX5200 is the bottleneck.
So it's got to go!

I *don't* want to overclock a new card, I *do* want to stay with nVidia, and
I *don't* want to spend lots of money....the card must be cost effective
(thinking less than $200/£150, but can be convinced otherwise).

It's not my prime machine, and to be honest, it will spend it's life playing
games. What would be the recommended card for my system?

Thanks in advance,

Pete.

5900 is a sweet spot between price and performance.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-09.html

(and a browse around this group)

should have answered your query already.
Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 12th 04, 05:37 PM
Daniel

Any 5900 will make you happy, or a 5700 if
money is tight.

Daniel

Old January 12th 04, 08:06 PM
Lee

hi

I recently read this review http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/112/
it sounds a really nice impressive card for the money i waiting till its
released and upgrade my ti4600 i think.

:
:I *don't* want to overclock a new card, I *do* want to stay with nVidia, and
:I *don't* want to spend lots of money....the card must be cost effective
:(thinking less than $200/£150, but can be convinced otherwise).
:
:It's not my prime machine, and to be honest, it will spend it's life playing
:games. What would be the recommended card for my system?
:
:Thanks in advance,
:
:Pete.
:

-----
Lee.
Old January 12th 04, 09:54 PM
Bobby

What about a 5600? Are they any good? Are they much better than a 5200?

Cheers.

Bobby

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 12th 04, 10:10 PM
Daniel

The 5600 are weak, and being replaced by the
MUCH BETTER 5700.

"Bobby" wrote in message
What about a 5600? Are they any good? Are they much better than a 5200?

Cheers.

Bobby

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 12th 04, 10:59 PM
Albert

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:54:16 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

What about a 5600? Are they any good? Are they much better than a 5200?

Cheers.

Bobby

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-13.html
Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 13th 04, 12:30 AM
Nick Le Lievre

"Peter Connolly" wrote in message
I've just built a new machine - Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1Gb RAM, AMD 2800+
processor, and a 128Mb FX5200 card. Everything works fine, but

benchmarking
(and a browse around this group) tells me that the FX5200 is the

bottleneck.
So it's got to go!

I *don't* want to overclock a new card, I *do* want to stay with nVidia,

and
I *don't* want to spend lots of money....the card must be cost effective
(thinking less than $200/£150, but can be convinced otherwise).

It's not my prime machine, and to be honest, it will spend it's life

playing
games. What would be the recommended card for my system?

Thanks in advance,

Pete.

Since when has $ 200 = £ 150 its more like £ 110 at the moment considerably
less - I wonder however if $200 feels like £ 150 to us if you know what I
mean eg some cheapest sites on pricewatch.com doing FX5900XT for $185 in USA
that works out around £ 105 and dabs do the fx5900 xt for £ 115 ex VAT so I
guess when americans say $200 they mean £ 100 - £ 110 in line with current
forex rates which just about extends to a FX5900XT here certainly no
FX5900XT comparable Radeon cards available for that price.

Old January 13th 04, 12:31 AM
DaveW

For your price range the FX 5700 Ultra ($200) is the best card. It's
clocked faster than the 5600 and uses DDR2 memory.

--
DaveW

Old January 13th 04, 07:21 AM
Darthy

wrote:

I've just built a new machine - Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1Gb RAM, AMD 2800+
processor, and a 128Mb FX5200 card. Everything works fine, but benchmarking
(and a browse around this group) tells me that the FX5200 is the bottleneck.
So it's got to go!

I *don't* want to overclock a new card, I *do* want to stay with nVidia, and
I *don't* want to spend lots of money....the card must be cost effective
(thinking less than $200/£150, but can be convinced otherwise).

It's not my prime machine, and to be honest, it will spend it's life playing
games. What would be the recommended card for my system?

1st - FX5900XT
2nf - ATI 9800
3rd- FX5700Ultra

It might as well be your prime system...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!