People with celerons

Old January 9th 04, 06:39 AM
lyon_wonder

The early 300-533MHz Mendocino P2-based Celeron's weren't too bad for
their day and had on-die L2 cache at a time when the P2s and early
Katmai P3s still had off-die, half-speed cache. The 1.2-1.4GHz
Tualatin P3 Celerons with 256k weren't too bad either, and made a nice
upgrade for BX-based boards. The P4-based Celeron's, though, with
their paltry 128k, SUCK big time, and aren't even worth Intel's
official $$ list price.

Rumor has it that sometime around mid-year Intel will introduce
Celerons based on the new Prescott core that will have 256k L2 and a
533MHz FSB (versus the P4 Prescott's 1Meg L2 and 800MHz FSB). Whether
they will perform better than the severely castrated 128k Northwoods
remains to be seen.

Is it me or are there many people with celerons, nice cpu's but they
don't perform!

If you got a celeron and a reasonable graphic card, then already the
graphic card is waiting on that damn slow cpu of yours to give it the
data.

Truly if there is any upgrade worthy for people with a celeron, then
it's firstly of all... the processor! Really even an GF3 is eating out
of it's nose on your cheap ass processor. Get a nice Pentium 4
processor, or if your motherboard is older a nice P3 processor,
why.... cache and speed, the celerons are heavily limited due to their
crapped cache. And Intel processors are heavily dependant on their
cache's.

And really your old GF3 ti 200 or 500 can perform faster and better..
once it got a CPU wich doesn't makes it eats out of it's nose but just
makes it run full speed.

And if you truly haven't got much money... ah... try to find an
upgrade with a nice motherboard and a DURON processor, yes it's the
budget line of AMD but... their budget line is fast and powerfull in
performance. Many people swear by durons in their "home media centers"
with a reason, though it has less cache as it's brother, amd
processors don't have asmuch troubles with their cache!

Really get a nice duron system and you'll see you go faster, fork up a
bit more money and get a true XP for the real deal!

Old January 9th 04, 03:42 PM
Spajky®

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:39:03 -0600, lyon_wonder
wrote:

Rumor has it that sometime around mid-year Intel will introduce
Celerons based on the new Prescott core that will have 256k L2 and a
533MHz FSB (versus the P4 Prescott's 1Meg L2 and 800MHz FSB). Whether
they will perform better than the severely castrated 128k Northwoods
remains to be seen.

IMHO will perform Ok, but nothing special
(at least a bit better than actual crap P4 too-castrated ones,
IMHO about 20% better that the crap ones)

-- Regards & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old January 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Darthy

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:53:46 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
wrote:

Darthy wrote:
I've had NO formal training and know others, and WE constantly figure
**** out before those who've been "schooled" in the art of M$
CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

Wow, same as me. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, bit of a far cry
from Computer Science or another IT qualification. I've always been happy
messing with computers, and after almost 10 years here in the IT dept you
tend to pick up a lot of things you'd never get taught on a course. I even
do ad-hoc technical support for Microsoft Press in the UK - some of the
calls I deal with just show how little many of the MCP "qualified" people
seem to actually understand.

heheh... uh, yep. Many IT MCP/MSCE people are morons, if the problem
isn't in the trouble shooter, manual or the **** they called "Support"
on M$.com that doesn't work worth a **** (searching for 1 problem
seems to get 10,000 results - the first 2-3 pages have no relationship
to the problem... GAG!!) - they panic, reinstall... or go into a
corner crying... or of course!! Call M$ ($$$) to get the ****
working! That's half the course of MSCE!!! The list of 1800- numbers
to call M$ when the **** hits the fan!!

C= Vic20 - 3.5k RAM (Wish I still had it)
C= 128 = 128k, Still have it, works... with 320k floppy drive - about
the size of a small printer nowadays.
Amiga 1000 - 512K / 2MB upgrade. (Still have 2 that works)
Amiga 3000 - 5mb - still functional, in my room.

Ah, a Commodore owner. Weren't Sinclair and Commodore owners supposed to be
always bragging about how much better their make was than the other? My, how
things haven't changed :P

UH... no. Sinclair never made it that far. It was C= vs Atari vs
Macintosh.... unlike the PC world, those 3 had GUI.... and TRUE GUIs
for 10 years before M$ "advaned" enough with their first.

ATARI didn't compare to Amiga, other than non-interlace output. It
had much of Amiga's hardware abilities (borrowed from Amiga), with
Macintosh's GUI Look (stolen) with Microsoft's FAT for a file system
(found under a rock)... so it had all the limitations of MS DOS.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 12th 04, 09:28 AM
Daniel Crichton

Darthy wrote:

UH... no. Sinclair never made it that far. It was C= vs Atari vs
Macintosh.... unlike the PC world, those 3 had GUI.... and TRUE GUIs
for 10 years before M$ "advaned" enough with their first.

You're not from the UK then - in the early 80's you pretty much had a
Sinclair Spectrum, a Commodore 64, or a BBC B, although it was mainly
schoolteachers who had the BBC at home as those were used in classes too. I
knew one person with an Atari, one with a Dragon, a load with Speccies, and
a load with C64s. I think I still have around 500 games for my Spectrum.

ATARI didn't compare to Amiga, other than non-interlace output. It
had much of Amiga's hardware abilities (borrowed from Amiga), with
Macintosh's GUI Look (stolen) with Microsoft's FAT for a file system
(found under a rock)... so it had all the limitations of MS DOS.

In the late 80s or early 90s I remember some friends having Amiga 500s, and
1 with an Atari ST. Those Amigas were fun ... Speedball II and Sensible
Soccer being a couple of the most memorable and fun games from back then

Dan

Old January 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Nicolas The Great

(Dark Avenger) wrote in message . com...
[...]

This dude is just telling it how it is. You can't say he's wrong.
I got a Celeron with that crappy 128 cache. I wouldn't call the cat
a troll.

Nick
Old January 13th 04, 07:15 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:28:29 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
wrote:

Darthy wrote:

UH... no. Sinclair never made it that far. It was C= vs Atari vs
Macintosh.... unlike the PC world, those 3 had GUI.... and TRUE GUIs
for 10 years before M$ "advaned" enough with their first.

You're not from the UK then - in the early 80's you pretty much had a
Sinclair Spectrum, a Commodore 64, or a BBC B, although it was mainly
schoolteachers who had the BBC at home as those were used in classes too. I
knew one person with an Atari, one with a Dragon, a load with Speccies, and
a load with C64s. I think I still have around 500 games for my Spectrum.

Yep... USA. (dont throw stones)... The Sinclair died in the USA with
the first color model. We only had Radio Shack TR-80s, Apple,
Commodore and IBMs... oh and Atari.

ATARI didn't compare to Amiga, other than non-interlace output. It
had much of Amiga's hardware abilities (borrowed from Amiga), with
Macintosh's GUI Look (stolen) with Microsoft's FAT for a file system
(found under a rock)... so it had all the limitations of MS DOS.

In the late 80s or early 90s I remember some friends having Amiga 500s, and
1 with an Atari ST. Those Amigas were fun ... Speedball II and Sensible
Soccer being a couple of the most memorable and fun games from back then

I miss not using mine much.... Oh yeah!! Speedball - Very intense
game! Nothing like that for the PC... nor consoles. Played that for
hours with friends. Where the playrs would beat the **** out of each
other...

Old January 13th 04, 12:58 PM
Daniel Crichton

Darthy wrote:
Yep... USA. (dont throw stones)... The Sinclair died in the USA with
the first color model. We only had Radio Shack TR-80s, Apple,
Commodore and IBMs... oh and Atari.

Ah, over here the first colour model was the Spectrum (16K RAM in first
version with rubber keys, then a 48K RAM model with rubber keys, then a 48K
model with better plastic keyboard, and finally a 128K model, IIRC. I had a
48K model with rubber keys that I ended up getting a plastic keyboard for
after smashing the bubbles under M and N playing Daley Thompson's
Decathlon - the game that ended the life on many a rubber keyboard!) and
that was when Sinclair really took off. The ZX80 and ZX81 had very small
markets, although I knew a few people with ZX81s (and still have one
myself), but when the Spectrum came out things changed radically. Never saw
an Apple or IBM over here back then. The death of Sinclair came shortly
after the 128K model, next thing Sir Clive is trying to convince us we all
need electric bikes.

Dan

Old January 14th 04, 09:41 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:58:11 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
wrote:

Darthy wrote:
[...]

They couldn't get the USA market which has/had more computer sales
than those in Europe. The dinky designed killed it when it was next
to the Commodores - which were being sold by general & toy stores as
well. Then with the Mac, Atari ST and Amigas in 1985 - they really
had nothing... but as we know, the Commodore64/128 was selling all the
way into the 1990s - when the company died.