People with celerons

Old January 4th 04, 11:41 AM
Dark Avenger

Default People with celerons

Is it me or are there many people with celerons, nice cpu's but they
don't perform!

If you got a celeron and a reasonable graphic card, then already the
graphic card is waiting on that damn slow cpu of yours to give it the
data.

Truly if there is any upgrade worthy for people with a celeron, then
it's firstly of all... the processor! Really even an GF3 is eating out
of it's nose on your cheap ass processor. Get a nice Pentium 4
processor, or if your motherboard is older a nice P3 processor,
why.... cache and speed, the celerons are heavily limited due to their
crapped cache. And Intel processors are heavily dependant on their
cache's.

And really your old GF3 ti 200 or 500 can perform faster and better..
once it got a CPU wich doesn't makes it eats out of it's nose but just
makes it run full speed.

And if you truly haven't got much money... ah... try to find an
upgrade with a nice motherboard and a DURON processor, yes it's the
budget line of AMD but... their budget line is fast and powerfull in
performance. Many people swear by durons in their "home media centers"
with a reason, though it has less cache as it's brother, amd
processors don't have asmuch troubles with their cache!

Really get a nice duron system and you'll see you go faster, fork up a
bit more money and get a true XP for the real deal!
Old January 4th 04, 05:56 PM
Me

Dark Avenger wrote:

Is it me or are there many people with celerons, nice cpu's but they
don't perform!

Are you really so bored that you can find nothing better to do than
troll? If you'd like to troll in a more lively environment, try posting
that to alt.english.grammar

Old January 4th 04, 06:46 PM
hklingon

Celerons are awesome chips for the price. AMD chips are horribly unstable
IMHO and have lots of heat related problems. Ive had nothing but problems
out of all the Duron computers I've built. Maybe its cheap components but I
havent had good luck finding boards. Perhaps if AMD made their own
motherboards like Intel does, It might work a little better. If you are
into Water/Freon cooling your system, AMD might give you more performance
for your dollar. All in All, celeron is my cpu of choice!

om...

Old January 4th 04, 07:29 PM
Andrew

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:46:38 -0500, "hklingon"
wrote:

Celerons are awesome chips for the price. AMD chips are horribly unstable
IMHO and have lots of heat related problems. Ive had nothing but problems
out of all the Duron computers I've built.

I don't know anyone dumb enough to build a Duron or Celeron system.
All the AMD Athlon systems I and others I know have built have been
just as stable as Intel systems.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old January 4th 04, 09:53 PM
hklingon

right on spajky, Intels FCPGA-2 Package is really nice with its .13u layers.
There are one or two coppermines that are manufactured under this package
that work really nicely. I find that the P4 Celerons work well if you are
using XP due to the quad pipelining, Dont seem to get much performance
otherwise.

Andrew: I dont know anyone who wants to spend that much money on their CPU
to not build a Celeron based machine.

"Spajky" wrote in message
On 4 Jan 2004 03:41:07 -0800, (Dark Avenger) wrote:

Is it me or are there many people with celerons, nice cpu's but they
don't perform!

except Tualatin ones, they rocks especially on BX chipset
Cumines are worse & P4basedCelerons are crap

Truly if there is any upgrade worthy for people with a celeron, then
it's firstly of all... the processor! Really even an GF3 is eating out
of it's nose on your cheap ass processor. Get a nice Pentium 4
processor, or if your motherboard is older a nice P3 processor,
why.... cache and speed, the celerons are heavily limited due to their
crapped cache. And Intel processors are heavily dependant on their
cache's.

And if you truly haven't got much money... ah... try to find an
upgrade with a nice motherboard and a DURON processor, yes it's the
budget line of AMD but... their budget line is fast and powerfull in
performance. Many people swear by durons in their "home media centers"
with a reason, though it has less cache as it's brother, amd
processors don't have asmuch troubles with their cache!

& the newer ones (applebread) OC like hell ...

Really get a nice duron system and you'll see you go faster, fork up a
bit more money and get a true XP for the real deal!

-- Regards & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
& visit my site @
http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Old January 4th 04, 10:15 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:46:38 -0500
"hklingon" wrote:

Celerons are awesome chips for the price. AMD chips are horribly
unstable IMHO and have lots of heat related problems.

All chips have heat related problems if they are not adequately cooled.
AMDs are no worse and no better in this regard than others.

Ive had nothing
but problems out of all the Duron computers I've built. Maybe its
cheap components but I havent had good luck finding boards.

Pity. You might investigate a company called "ASUS", or perhaps "Tyan",
or maybe "MSI". Heck, even some of the dirt-cheap ECS boards are rock
stable if they're not defective. If you've had problems with Duron
machines that you built then maybe you should learn how to build a
stable machine.

Perhaps if
AMD made their own motherboards like Intel does, It might work a
little better.

While Intel brand boards are fine for some purposes, they tend to be
overpriced for what they are.

If you are into Water/Freon cooling your system, AMD
might give you more performance for your dollar.

Personally I use plain old air and it works fine with the quietest fans
on the market.

All in All, celeron is my cpu of choice!

That pretty much says it all.

[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 4th 04, 11:17 PM
DaveL

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure you were
using cheap components like maybe a PC Chips motherboard with a Via chipset
or worse.

Check out this comparison from Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927

It has a Duron beating the celeron like an unwanted stepchild. The Duron
even beats a P4.

Dave

Old January 5th 04, 12:49 AM
hklingon

Well those tests dont really mean anything And the AMD chips are just plain
unstable in any environment. I could take all the dead (for some reason or
another) AMD chips I have and tile my bathroom floor. Dont ever build an AMD
system for someone whom you dont want calling you everyday cause it keeps
crashing or locking up.

Old January 5th 04, 02:04 AM
Me

hklingon wrote:
Well those tests dont really mean anything

LOL. I see how this works... when you don't like the benchmarks, they
don't mean anything. I've heard this theory at the race track too, but
nobody seems to think it credible. snicker

And the AMD chips are just plain
unstable in any environment. I could take all the dead (for some reason or
another) AMD chips I have and tile my bathroom floor. Dont ever build an AMD
system for someone whom you dont want calling you everyday cause it keeps
crashing or locking up.

That's complete crap. I've got close to a dozen Athlon machines between
here and my office including two web servers and two mail servers. Most
of these boxes churn 24/7 (obviously the servers do) yet I've never had
a hardware related problem with ANY of them... not once. Over the years
I've built numerous AMD machines including K6 series, Duron and Athlon
and I've never once seen a chip fail, period. I think that either you
are spouting a completely unsubstantiated opinion (I.E., you're full of
crap) or who ever is building these machines you speak of has no clue
how to properly build a computer.