Shared bandwidth

Old May 15th 05, 07:59 PM

Default Shared bandwidth

"vg403mkd8" wrote in message
i am using a hotel's wireless service

how is bandwidth affected by the number of users?

how is bandwidth affected by amount of activity at a particular time?

if i am the sole user getting 300Kb/sec, and another user logs on, do
we each get 300 Kb/sec or do we each get 150 Kb/sec?

What did the hotel say, if anyone there actually knew? Could be each
wall tap is on a hub, so you share bandwidth. Could be each wall tap is
on a switch so it depends to and through which subnets you get routed
depending on where is the target host. Bandwidth doesn't get halved
just because 2 hosts share it. When you hand the Coke to your friend to
share, do they take exactly the same size sip as you? They might hog it
all, you might hog it all, they might suck up 60% of it, or you might.
It is shared, not equally divided.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Old May 15th 05, 10:14 PM

"vg403mkd8" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:59:32 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

"vg403mkd8" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

what determines how the bandwidth is shared? If there are 20 users
can they all get the full bandwidth? if not, how is it determined how
much is allocated to each user?

All users get to SHARE the bandwidth. They don't get allocated any
particular amount. Who gets how much depends on the level of
contention. As the number of users go up, the level for contention MAY
go up. It all depends of the level of traffic the hosts are trying to
receive or send.

Transmission Control Protocol
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:TCP
http://www.ssfnet.org/Exchange/tcp/t...rialNotes.html, Congestion
Control
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2BTCP+%2Btutorial

Collision Detection, Carrier-Sense Multiple Access (CD/CSMA), used on
Ethernet
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:csma
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B%2...22+%2BEthernet

You might get all of the bandwidth. You might get very little of it.
All hosts contend for the bandwidth. QoS (Qualify of Service) might be
used to determine who gets more of it, but a hotel isn't going to bother
with wall taps that get used by an ever-changing community of users
(although them might implement QoS for their best suites, but I doubt
they understand it).

QoS
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/Q/QoS.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:qos