GFX advice on my system ??

Old January 12th 04, 11:33 AM
JonMaC

Default GFX advice on my system ??

Hi, regular reader here. PLs can someone explain in english my GFX test
results from 3dMark2001SE ?? Trying to figure out what would be best
upgrade (GFX, CPU, Mobo, RAM - or all of 'em !!)
Thinking of upgrading to Nforce 2 mobo & 2500Barton CPU - then new GFX later
in year when HL2 is out .....need to keep it a budget system.

System runs evrything I play (CS, CoD, MOHAA) OK @ 1024x768 with medium
detail.

System : Duron 1.2, Jetway VIA 266 mobo, 512Mb DDR2100, Geforce 3 with 44.03
Detonator.

5059 = 640 x 480 x 32, NO AA
4869 = 1024 x 768 x 32, NO AA
3006 = 1024 x 768 x 32, 4xAA

Thanks JonMaC

Old January 12th 04, 08:17 PM
Lee

hey if your after just mobo, processor and memory i would tell you to get
this:
2600+ Barton (most of the 2500 barton batches are now locked where as i
heard that the 2600 barton have still a lot of batches that are unlocked
multiplier so you a better overclocking potential)
Abit NF7-S or Asus A7N8X-deluxe
Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x256MB) Platinum CAS2

:
:System runs evrything I play (CS, CoD, MOHAA) OK @ 1024x768 with medium
:detail.
:
:System : Duron 1.2, Jetway VIA 266 mobo, 512Mb DDR2100, Geforce 3 with 44.03
:Detonator.
:
:5059 = 640 x 480 x 32, NO AA
:4869 = 1024 x 768 x 32, NO AA
:3006 = 1024 x 768 x 32, 4xAA
:
:Thanks JonMaC
:

-----
Lee.
Old January 12th 04, 10:39 PM
DaveL

The main statistic to look at is "4869 = 1024 x 768 x 32, NO AA". This is
how 3dmark2001se is normally run (make sure vsync is disabled). Your GF3
will max out at about 8000 no matter what you upgrade the rest to. I got
6800 with a 1700+ and PC2100 on a NF1 board. If you go the NF2 Barton route
you will also have to upgrade the video card to realize anything more. A
GF4 ti4200 will get the new system into the 11000 range. With the Barton
you will be video card limited no matter what you get. So the sky is the
limit. How much do you want to spend?

Dave

Old January 13th 04, 07:05 AM
Darthy

wrote:

Hi, regular reader here. PLs can someone explain in english my GFX test
results from 3dMark2001SE ?? Trying to figure out what would be best
upgrade (GFX, CPU, Mobo, RAM - or all of 'em !!)
Thinking of upgrading to Nforce 2 mobo & 2500Barton CPU - then new GFX later
in year when HL2 is out .....need to keep it a budget system.

System runs evrything I play (CS, CoD, MOHAA) OK @ 1024x768 with medium
detail.

Those 3 games are based on OLD gaming technology. CS is horribly old,
I tried it a few times, ugh. COD and MOHAA both used the 1999 Quake3
engine. On my system (AMD 2500 + ATi9800Pro) I finished out COD in
1600x1200x32 with MAX details on everything - the game didnt hickup -
period.

heres a chart:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-05.html

with your hardware, you'd kind of be like the 9600se on the score
(based on Gf3 + AMD 1.2 Duron.

For Half Life2, you need more CPU and Video power. While you do have
the old KT266 board, you should be able to pop in a the XP2600-266Mhz
version. About $120 - retail with fan.

Then Pop in an ATI 9800 or Fx5900 (plain).... for about $200~250.
The ATI9800Pro may come with Half Life2.

Check out the videos and screen shots of Half Life2 (go to the valve
website or look up on a P2P network)

5059 = 640 x 480 x 32, NO AA
4869 = 1024 x 768 x 32, NO AA
3006 = 1024 x 768 x 32, 4xAA

When comparing 3DMark scores - Use DEFAULT Only (the middle one).

With the CPU and video card upgrade, you'll get around 14,000 on
3Dmark01. But with modern games or benchmarks (3DMark03) - you'd get
about 300 vs 4000+.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 13th 04, 09:05 AM
JonMaC

"JonMaC" wrote in message
Hi, regular reader here. PLs can someone explain in english my GFX test
results from 3dMark2001SE ?? Trying to figure out what would be best
upgrade (GFX, CPU, Mobo, RAM - or all of 'em !!)
Thinking of upgrading to Nforce 2 mobo & 2500Barton CPU - then new GFX

later
in year when HL2 is out .....need to keep it a budget system.

System runs evrything I play (CS, CoD, MOHAA) OK @ 1024x768 with medium
detail.

System : Duron 1.2, Jetway VIA 266 mobo, 512Mb DDR2100, Geforce 3 with

44.03
Detonator.

5059 = 640 x 480 x 32, NO AA
4869 = 1024 x 768 x 32, NO AA
3006 = 1024 x 768 x 32, 4xAA

Thanks JonMaC

Thanks for responses Guys - looks like processor upgrade then ........ think
I'll look at mobo/GFX over the summer when HL2 is out. Poss 9800Pro or
similar.
JonMaC

Old January 14th 04, 09:32 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:05:22 +0000 (UTC), "JonMaC"
wrote:

Thanks for responses Guys - looks like processor upgrade then ........ think
I'll look at mobo/GFX over the summer when HL2 is out. Poss 9800Pro or
similar.

Hey... by then, the 9800Pro (was $400 3 months ago) will be around
$150 (Its currently around $250).... and an AMD XP 3000 CPU will be
under $100 and a motherboard would be about $75~100.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Advice plz new system build Chingy Overclocking AMD Processors 2 November 1st 04 12:34 AM
HELP - advice please on options for upgrading Duron system Dee Overclocking AMD Processors 6 October 8th 04 11:11 AM
New System Specs, need memory advice. Tom Overclocking 2 March 14th 04 04:57 AM
System advice please Kayf Overclocking 4 February 20th 04 04:58 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM