Where is the battery?

Old October 26th 04, 12:36 PM
Bob Alexander

Default Where is the battery?

My in-laws have an old AST Advantage Adventure 466 that they use.
Nothing fancy, but it serves them well. It started showing the BIOS
needing reset each time it was started, so I figured I would just change
the BIOS battery. Well guess what? It doesn't have the traditional
battery and socket, but it is soldered onto the board somewhere. It
must be a special shape or something because I can't seem to find it.
Has anyone else ever worked on one of these that could help out?
Thanks...

Old October 27th 04, 07:30 PM
CBFalconer

Bob Alexander wrote:

Part 1.1Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

I have no idea, because you used HTML/mime attachments in USENET.
These things may carry viruses, and get destroyed on sight here.
They certainly don't get read.

e-mail is a text mechanism.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old October 27th 04, 07:35 PM
MCheu

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:36:39 -0400, Bob Alexander
wrote:

My in-laws have an old AST Advantage Adventure 466 that they use.
Nothing fancy, but it serves them well. It started showing the BIOS
needing reset each time it was started, so I figured I would just change
the BIOS battery. Well guess what? It doesn't have the traditional
battery and socket, but it is soldered onto the board somewhere. It
must be a special shape or something because I can't seem to find it.
Has anyone else ever worked on one of these that could help out?
Thanks...

In the old days, the battery looked like a axial (leads on both ends
rather than two at the bottom) electrolytic capacitor. On an old 486
I had, the only thing telling me it wasn't an electrolytic capacitor
was that the motherboard had the word "battery" etched right next to
it.

MCheu
Old October 27th 04, 08:31 PM
kony

wrote:

My in-laws have an old AST Advantage Adventure 466 that they use.
Nothing fancy, but it serves them well. It started showing the BIOS
needing reset each time it was started, so I figured I would just change
the BIOS battery. Well guess what? It doesn't have the traditional
battery and socket, but it is soldered onto the board somewhere. It
must be a special shape or something because I can't seem to find it.
Has anyone else ever worked on one of these that could help out?
Thanks...

It might have something like a "Dallas Real-time Clock".
Those are not easily replaceable, rather the system is
probably due to be upgraded/replaced in whole.

The linked pic shows a Dallas RTC, and that particular
pictured motherboard also has a space on it for a battery
holder. Some boards have a pin-header instead that would
allow plugging in a battery pack. If your board has either
of these options for adding a different battery you "could"
do that instead, but still it may be worthwhile to replace
the system, more parts than just the RTC become a liability
when the system is that old, especially the hard drive which
"might" (?) hold valuable data on it.

http://members.iweb.net.au/~pstorr/p...es/dallas1.jpg

Old October 27th 04, 08:46 PM
Bob Alexander

I thought I had gotten this fixed the last time you questioned me about
it. Thanks for going easy on me. I think I may have found a place in
the mail format option that was set to convert to html. I changed it to
convert to plain text and am wondering how this is coming through.
Thanks...

Old October 28th 04, 09:19 AM
Skeleton Man

It might have something like a "Dallas Real-time Clock".
Those are not easily replaceable, rather the system is
probably due to be upgraded/replaced in whole.

Those funny looking plastic boxes on the board... always wondered what they
were called.
All the ones I've seen allow the plastic cover to be removed to unsolder the
battery though..

Regards,
Chris

Old October 28th 04, 10:53 AM
Art Leonard

CBFalconer wrote:

Bob Alexander wrote:

Part 1.1Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

I have no idea, because you used HTML/mime attachments in USENET.
These things may carry viruses, and get destroyed on sight here.
They certainly don't get read.

e-mail is a text mechanism.

Focus, CB, focus. Address the problem, if it is within your knowledge
base. You might try to ignore the TINY little things that upset you and
stick to the issues. If all you have to say about the person's problem
is " I have no idea ", then why bother responding? You seem a wee bit
overly anal. Are you saying that "HTML/mime attachments in USENET"
destroy your ability to help someone? Are you so freaked regarding
viruses that you are absolutely unable to contribute? A decent anti
virus program might help to allay your inordinate fears. And lastly, if
"They certainly don't get read." then how is it that you are responding
with this crap?? Clairvoyance ???

Art Leonard
Old October 28th 04, 12:27 PM
CBFalconer

Art Leonard wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:
Bob Alexander wrote:

Part 1.1Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

I have no idea, because you used HTML/mime attachments in USENET.
These things may carry viruses, and get destroyed on sight here.
They certainly don't get read.

e-mail is a text mechanism.

Focus, CB, focus. Address the problem, if it is within your
knowledge base. You might try to ignore the TINY little things
that upset you and stick to the issues. If all you have to say
about the person's problem is " I have no idea ", then why

.... snip ...

Try exercising the knob on your neck. The originator may not
realize he is sending html mail, which is getting
destroyed/ignored/etc. Or he may not know that it is frowned upon.
It is usually considered friendly to tell him. Of course, some are
such boors that they immediately get excited and antagonistic.

Old October 28th 04, 01:19 PM
Art Leonard

CBFalconer wrote:

Art Leonard wrote:

CBFalconer wrote:

Bob Alexander wrote:

Part 1.1Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

I have no idea, because you used HTML/mime attachments in USENET.
These things may carry viruses, and get destroyed on sight here.
They certainly don't get read.

e-mail is a text mechanism.

Focus, CB, focus. Address the problem, if it is within your
knowledge base. You might try to ignore the TINY little things
that upset you and stick to the issues. If all you have to say
about the person's problem is " I have no idea ", then why

... snip ...

Try exercising the knob on your neck.

snip
Yes, yes, but of course, anything but address the issues put forth. Not
within your realm I guess?

Art Leonard

Old November 1st 04, 01:36 PM
patrick

Bob Alexander wrote:
My in-laws have an old AST Advantage Adventure 466 that they use.
Nothing fancy, but it serves them well. It started showing the BIOS
needing reset each time it was started, so I figured I would just change
the BIOS battery. Well guess what? It doesn't have the traditional
battery and socket, but it is soldered onto the board somewhere. It
must be a special shape or something because I can't seem to find it.
Has anyone else ever worked on one of these that could help out? Thanks...

Which one do you have??? did you google for it???
Advantage Series
Advantage 200
Advantage 6000
Advantage 6066D
Advantage 6075
Advantage 6075P
Advantage 824
Advantage 9304
Advantage 9316
Advantage Adventure 6075P
Advantage Adventure 8075P
Advantage AT
Advantage Pro
Advantage Pro 386SX/25
Advantage Pro 486DX2/66

Laptop Battery Problem no-spam-please General 1 August 4th 04 02:39 PM
Laptop Battery Problems Shannon L General 2 February 22nd 04 07:58 AM
bad battery -> boot loop Tanya General 6 December 6th 03 08:40 PM
Laptop battery Shannon L General 1 November 20th 03 03:13 AM
APC UPS BACK UPS XS 1500 external battery recognition? denton General 0 August 2nd 03 06:14 PM