Hot swap trays for 2k3

Old September 29th 04, 05:45 AM
taipan

Default Hot swap trays for 2k3

Hi

New here. Looking for advice on Hot Swap hard drive trays for a new Dell
1600SC server.

Thought I could just buy a good quaility rack and some cartridges. Of
course it's not that easy. Server will run Windows 2003 Server.

I need advice on a HOT SWAP rack, or software that will do it.

Appears the Vantec EZ Swap 200 series SATA racks will do it. They are very
hard to find in stock

Any other solutions out there? Has to be hot swap. There used to be
software solutions that would allow it on with about any removable rack.
(alas Win98 only it appears) For w2k3, I'm just not sure. Using them for
backup. Can't shut down server to swap them.

Thanks

Old September 29th 04, 06:07 AM
Ron Reaugh

"taipan" wrote in message
news
Hi

New here. Looking for advice on Hot Swap hard drive trays for a new Dell
1600SC server.

Thought I could just buy a good quaility rack and some cartridges. Of
course it's not that easy. Server will run Windows 2003 Server.

I need advice on a HOT SWAP rack, or software that will do it.

Appears the Vantec EZ Swap 200 series SATA racks will do it. They are

very
hard to find in stock

KingWin KF-83 ~$30 work well on my SBS2003 system.

Any other solutions out there? Has to be hot swap.

Hotswap is a function of the spec SATA, disk controller and OS+device
drivers and not the trays.

There used to be
software solutions that would allow it on with about any removable rack.
(alas Win98 only it appears) For w2k3, I'm just not sure. Using them for
backup. Can't shut down server to swap them.

Works here on SBS2003.

Old September 29th 04, 06:24 AM
taipan

Thanks Ron

I buy most of my stuff from Newegg. Started by looking at Kingwin ATA.
Seem to be good quality. Not hot swap. Where did you find the KF- 83 at?

I need the whole thing and extra trays. (3 drives for rotating backup)

The Vantecs seem to be highly rated, but I've had good experiences with
Kingwin in the past.

Old September 29th 04, 06:55 AM
Ron Reaugh

"taipan" wrote in message
news
Thanks Ron

I buy most of my stuff from Newegg. Started by looking at Kingwin ATA.
Seem to be good quality. Not hot swap.

You are mistaken. The KF-83 is hotswap.

Where did you find the KF- 83 at?

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=48961
http://store.yahoo.com/extremepcgear/kingwinkf83.html
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.a...teID=43&ID=158
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...121-169&depa=0

http://www.kingwin.com/where_buy.asp...=1&CountryID=1

I need the whole thing and extra trays. (3 drives for rotating backup)

Yes, I put 250GB SATA WDC drives in them and use www.acronis.com for image
backup. I also keep my 74GB SATA system driveS(mirror) in them.

The Vantecs seem to be highly rated, but I've had good experiences with
Kingwin in the past.

I like the three fans.

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message

"taipan" wrote in message
[...]

Newbie: easy to swap cdrom drive ? Mike General 7 July 18th 04 03:20 PM
Windows XP not recognizing new CDROM Volume after swap Hugh Johnson General 6 May 11th 04 02:54 AM
Question about HD trays llasher General 1 February 28th 04 04:32 AM
swap file Steve James General 23 January 10th 04 01:32 PM
Swap files Neogenesis General 15 June 28th 03 03:48 PM