Opinions/suggestions wanted

Old November 8th 03, 07:13 AM
xyzzy

Default Opinions/suggestions wanted

I'm looking for a VC with the following specs:

Must: DVI, ~$150 US, OK OpenGL for low end CAD, 128MB min
Preferably: VIVO, Dual monitors, quiet and cool (don't want to OC)
Nice bonus: Dual DVI, DirectX 9 (gaming is low priority)

Suggestions? TIA.

Old November 8th 03, 09:46 PM

There are plenty of cards available but I can't find one that I would
rcommend based on your price requirements and 128 megs of video RAM,
especially not for CAD. I used CAD in the past and recommend the NVIDIA
quadro line for this.

regards

Old November 9th 03, 04:03 PM
xyzzy

"B" wrote:
"xyzzy" wrote in message

I'm looking for a VC with the following specs:

Must: DVI, ~$150 US, OK OpenGL for low end CAD, 128MB min
Preferably: VIVO, Dual monitors, quiet and cool (don't want to OC)
Nice bonus: Dual DVI, DirectX 9 (gaming is low priority)

Suggestions? TIA.

There are plenty of cards available but I can't find one that I would
rcommend based on your price requirements and 128 megs of video RAM,
especially not for CAD.

Thanks but not using a graphics card doesn't sound like a good option
to me g.

I used CAD in the past and recommend the NVIDIA
quadro line for this.

I am using lower end and older CAD and can only afford a lower end
gaming card. Basically anything better than a TNT2/32.

Old November 11th 03, 12:13 AM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:03:27 GMT
xyzzy wrote:

"B" wrote:
"xyzzy" wrote in message

I'm looking for a VC with the following specs:

Must: DVI, ~$150 US, OK OpenGL for low end CAD, 128MB min
Preferably: VIVO, Dual monitors, quiet and cool (don't want to OC)
Nice bonus: Dual DVI, DirectX 9 (gaming is low priority)

Suggestions? TIA.

There are plenty of cards available but I can't find one that I would
rcommend based on your price requirements and 128 megs of video RAM,
especially not for CAD.

Thanks but not using a graphics card doesn't sound like a good option
to me g.

I used CAD in the past and recommend the NVIDIA
quadro line for this.

I am using lower end and older CAD and can only afford a lower end
gaming card. Basically anything better than a TNT2/32.

The basic problem you're going to encounter is that the OpenGL support
on gaming boards is not very good. Might be good enough for what you're
doing, but the major difference between a Geforce and a Quadro is that
the firmware for the Quadro is optimized for OpenGL.

Your best bet's probably a Ti4200. You can find them with dual DVI or
with single DVI, VGA for the second monitor and TV-in in your price
range, not sure if there's one with both dual DVI and TV-in in that
range though. ASUS V9280 VideoSuite and V9280 Superfast are two
possibilities.

If the OpenGL turns out not to be adequate, you can try SoftQuadro
4http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/, which should give it pretty much
the same capabilities as a Quadro.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 11th 03, 01:44 PM
xyzzy

"B" wrote:

Ok then just maybe what you can do is purchase a 64 mb NVIDIA Quadro card as
this falls within the price range you mentioned.

Since these will likely have older technology, slower core.. etc, my
question is, are the Quadros really *that* much more efficient than
regular cards? Especially with the new breed of games, I would have
thought OpenGL would have become an important part of gamer cards.
Besides the software certification issue (and dual DVI support), what
is it about the Quadros that would justify the enormous price jump? I
would very much like to see a review pitting a Quadro against a
similarly priced non-Quadro in a low end CAD application (say Rhino3D)
and some mid range ones. Does anyone have any links? TIA.

Wanted: Baby AT board with Cyrix Media GX 233 or 266 Kiwi General 0 February 25th 05 02:49 PM
writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Wanted Dead Hard Drives Captain Overclocking AMD Processors 3 January 1st 04 01:54 AM
Wanted: Dead Hard Drives Captain Overclocking 3 December 21st 03 09:14 AM