Newbie: Driver Question

Old January 19th 04, 11:23 PM
Thomas

Default Newbie: Driver Question

Hello,

I have taken the plunge and purchased a 9600 Pro (previous cards were
nVidia). However, I am starting to wonder if I am getting the most out of
my purchase. My main use for the card is games and even though I do see
some FPS improvement its not as much I had hoped for, compared to my nVidia
MX 440.

Perhaps I have not installed everything I should have?

When I installed the card I simply went to ATI's site and grabbed the latest
version of the Catalyst drivers. (not version 4.2)

Is there anything I can do to make sure I am getting the most out of the
card?

Cheers!

Old January 20th 04, 12:27 AM
Navid

"Thomas" wrote in message
Hello,

I have taken the plunge and purchased a 9600 Pro (previous cards were
nVidia). However, I am starting to wonder if I am getting the most out of
my purchase. My main use for the card is games and even though I do see
some FPS improvement its not as much I had hoped for, compared to my

nVidia
MX 440.

Perhaps I have not installed everything I should have?

When I installed the card I simply went to ATI's site and grabbed the

latest
version of the Catalyst drivers. (not version 4.2)

Is there anything I can do to make sure I am getting the most out of the
card?

Cheers!

Are you playing any games that are Direct X 9 like Halo?

The difference is significant.
I have played halo on an MX420 as well as on 9600 pro
(my current card). The improvement is really worth it.

Old January 20th 04, 12:38 AM
Tod

Reloading the motherboard drivers may help.
(VIA requests that their motherboard driver be reloaded after any hardware
change)

Also get the program detonator destroyer, to completely remove any old
Nvidia drivers

Old January 21st 04, 05:40 AM
Lou

"Thomas" wrote in message
Hello,

I have taken the plunge and purchased a 9600 Pro (previous cards were
nVidia). However, I am starting to wonder if I am getting the most out of
my purchase. My main use for the card is games and even though I do see
some FPS improvement its not as much I had hoped for, compared to my

nVidia
MX 440.

Perhaps I have not installed everything I should have?

When I installed the card I simply went to ATI's site and grabbed the

latest
version of the Catalyst drivers. (not version 4.2)

Is there anything I can do to make sure I am getting the most out of the
card?

Cheers!

What is your CPU speed and memory ?

Old January 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Thomas

Hello,

My CPU is an XP1700 and 768MB DDR

Old January 22nd 04, 06:21 AM
Julian Richards

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:43:10 -0500, "Thomas"
wrote:

Hello,

My CPU is an XP1700 and 768MB DDR

It may be that the processor is leaving your system a little
breathless.

How about trying the Omega drivers?
--

Julian Richards
julian-richards "at" ntlworld.com

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives
Old January 22nd 04, 10:54 PM
Thomas

OMEGA drivers... Hmm I guess I have nothing to loose. Has anyone else seen
an increase in FPS with these drivers?

Any opinions?

Old January 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
Julian Richards

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:54:29 -0500, "Thomas"
wrote:

OMEGA drivers... Hmm I guess I have nothing to loose. Has anyone else seen
an increase in FPS with these drivers?

Any opinions?

Not necessarily an increase in FPS but possibly in image quality. FPS
isn't the be-all and end-all, nice though it is.