Replace Ti4200 with ATI 9800 Pro

Old November 7th 03, 03:57 PM
Skid

Default Replace Ti4200 with ATI 9800 Pro

Looks like you've thought it through. I"m not familiar with the driver
cleaner you're talking about, but others have had good luck with Detonator
Destroyer. It is important to scrub out all those nasty leftovers.

When the new card is detected on reboot, don't let Windows install the
drivers. Cancel out of the wizard and run the ATI driver setup applets. Go
ahead and use Cat 3.9, you'll need the CD only if you want to install the
updated ATI DVD player, which requires the original CD for verification.

I usually do the drivers and control panel first, reboot, and then the MMC
if you want it. (The DVD player is excellent, the rest is average.)

You may want to reinstall the motherboard's AGP drivers and/or DX9 to synch
everything up. It's not necessary, but good insurance.

After that it's simply a matter of configuring everything to suit your
preferences. There is a lot of info at www.rage3d.com, including plenty of
tweaking and troubleshooting help in the forums.

"Ed" wrote in message
Hello,

Currently have a Ti4200 in an Asus A7N8X v2.00.(Nvidia Ultra 400),
Windows XP Pro.

I assume I go about the install this way,...

1. Uninstall Nvidia drivers, Reboot.

2. Run Driver Cleaner+Cab Cleaner?
I never used that, is it a must?

3. Shut down, pull ti4200, install ATI card.

4. Install ATI v3.9 drivers?
Is there anything on the ATI CD that I must or must not install?

5. I read something about the GART driver, when I uninstall the Ti4200
drivers does it remove that too, if so how do I fix that?

Thanks for any tips,links, help, I've had this PC for 6 months and it
has been flawless, I'd like it to stay that way.

Regards,
Ed G.

Old November 8th 03, 01:00 AM
Ben

just uninstall the nvidia drivers via add/remove and reboot
shut down - swap cards - reboot
install 3.7 cats (the most stable and bug free for most ppl)
you can always try 3.9s later and if they give problems then role back to
3.7
the cats include smartgart for adjusting agp - just check the setting
matches what youve set in the bios.
enjoy

Old November 8th 03, 10:36 AM
Thomas

Ben wrote:
just uninstall the nvidia drivers via add/remove and reboot
shut down - swap cards - reboot
install 3.7 cats (the most stable and bug free for most ppl)
you can always try 3.9s later and if they give problems then role
back to
3.7
the cats include smartgart for adjusting agp - just check the setting
matches what youve set in the bios.
enjoy

We see many problems in this newsgroup with NVidia users that ONLY uninstall
NVidia drivers and switch to ATI cards... If i were the OP, i would indeed
use some registry cleaner... Myself, i usually reinstall windows after i
swap a MAIN component (vid card/mainboard)

THomas.

Old November 8th 03, 10:52 AM
Andrew

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:36:21 +0100, "Thomas"
wrote:

We see many problems in this newsgroup with NVidia users that ONLY uninstall
NVidia drivers and switch to ATI cards... If i were the OP, i would indeed
use some registry cleaner... Myself, i usually reinstall windows after i
swap a MAIN component (vid card/mainboard)

I just unistalled the NV drivers, replaced the card then loaded the
ATI drivers and had no problems. Reinstalling Windows for a video card
replacement is total overkill IMO.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 8th 03, 01:58 PM
patrickp

wrote:

We see many problems in this newsgroup with NVidia users that ONLY

uninstall
NVidia drivers and switch to ATI cards... If i were the OP, i would

indeed
use some registry cleaner... Myself, i usually reinstall windows after i
swap a MAIN component (vid card/mainboard)

I just unistalled the NV drivers, replaced the card then loaded the
ATI drivers and had no problems. Reinstalling Windows for a video card
replacement is total overkill IMO.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

While reinstalling Windows may be overkill, doing more to clear out your
system than just uninstalling old drivers on a card change is not.

Anyone regularly reading posts in this ng will have frequently noticed
threads started with posts from people who've changed an ATi card for an
NVidia one, or vice versa, and are having problems. Invariably, they will
be advised to clear out the driver remnants from the card they have removed
and doing this usually sorts the problem. Look through your Windows folder
and your registry, Andrew: you'll find plenty of NVidia entries and files
still there. Perhaps your system seems Ok now, but that's not to say you
won't have trouble in the future, or that your system wouldn't be running
very much better if you cleared out those remnants.

patrickp

Old November 8th 03, 02:21 PM
Andrew

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:58:27 -0000, "patrickp"
- take five to email me wrote:

Anyone regularly reading posts in this ng will have frequently noticed
threads started with posts from people who've changed an ATi card for an
NVidia one, or vice versa, and are having problems. Invariably, they will
be advised to clear out the driver remnants from the card they have removed
and doing this usually sorts the problem. Look through your Windows folder
and your registry, Andrew: you'll find plenty of NVidia entries and files
still there. Perhaps your system seems Ok now, but that's not to say you
won't have trouble in the future, or that your system wouldn't be running
very much better if you cleared out those remnants.

It was running fine for about two months. My mobo died and I last week
had to replace it with an Nforce 2 mobo, which required a reinstall of
Windows. It works exactly the same now as it did before, with very
slightly better 3Dmark scores which is down to running dual channel
memory now.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 8th 03, 03:58 PM
[Q4O]Gizmo

Hi there

--

Not nessery, i changed a via chipset mobo to a nforce2 mobo.
first deinstall via chipset drivers then uninstall the via ide hardware.

GIZIZ

Old November 8th 03, 04:09 PM
Andrew

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:58:13 +0100, "[Q4O]Gizmo" wrote:

Not nessery, i changed a via chipset mobo to a nforce2 mobo.
first deinstall via chipset drivers then uninstall the via ide hardware.
the swap HD in the new one and youre back on track.

It was necessary for me, Windows on my hard disk wouldn't boot!
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 9th 03, 12:57 AM
[Q4O]Gizmo

"Andrew" spamtrap@localhost wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:58:13 +0100, "[Q4O]Gizmo" wrote:

Not nessery, i changed a via chipset mobo to a nforce2 mobo.
first deinstall via chipset drivers then uninstall the via ide hardware.
the swap HD in the new one and youre back on track.

It was necessary for me, Windows on my hard disk wouldn't boot!
--

i understand, if your window is broken...

I just mention it for the people who want to change a mobo and dont want to
install windows.

i hate (re)installing windows, my windows xp is installed on oktober
2001... never did a reinstall and its rock steady and fast,and saw
a lot of different hardware, ok you have to do some mantenance.

GIZKIZ

Old November 25th 03, 11:31 AM
Darthy

wrote:

Ben wrote:
just uninstall the nvidia drivers via add/remove and reboot
shut down - swap cards - reboot
install 3.7 cats (the most stable and bug free for most ppl)
you can always try 3.9s later and if they give problems then role
back to
3.7
the cats include smartgart for adjusting agp - just check the setting
matches what youve set in the bios.
enjoy

We see many problems in this newsgroup with NVidia users that ONLY uninstall
NVidia drivers and switch to ATI cards... If i were the OP, i would indeed
use some registry cleaner... Myself, i usually reinstall windows after i
swap a MAIN component (vid card/mainboard)

Uninstalling the NVidia drivers worked for me...

For the hell of it, I left them ON, then swapped out cards and
installed CAT3.9 - game play was JeRkY... every game played like
crap.

Uninstalled NVidia, reinstalled DX9 - everything is nice and friendly.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!