Omega drivers question

Old October 15th 03, 08:20 PM
zlo

Default Omega drivers question

What is soft-mod? When it asks if i want to install normal, soft mod
9500(includes 9500-9700), or soft mod 9800, which would be best for me to
use on a 9700 Pro, and why?

I suppose i'll do the 'soft mod 9500' which looks like it includes 9700 pro
right?

Old October 15th 03, 11:39 PM
Minotaur

zlo wrote:
What is soft-mod? When it asks if i want to install normal, soft mod
9500(includes 9500-9700), or soft mod 9800, which would be best for me to
use on a 9700 Pro, and why?

I suppose i'll do the 'soft mod 9500' which looks like it includes 9700 pro
right?

None, did you try reading the README?

--
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, in America,
as an independent press. You know it and I know it… The business of the
Journalist is to destroy truth; To lie outright; To pervert; To vilify;
To fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for
his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this
toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals for rich men
behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and
we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and or lives are all the
property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes.
– John Swinton, former Chief of Staff, The New York Times, circa 1880
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Old October 16th 03, 03:41 AM
zlo

there isn't a readme file

Old October 16th 03, 06:54 AM
Minotaur

zlo wrote:
there isn't a readme file

Last I looked at the screen during install, it explained the 9700-9800
SoftMod wasn't any longer needed. As ATI is basicaly using the same code
for both video cards in the newer Cat drivers.

--
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Old October 17th 03, 12:39 PM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:22:58 +0100
BoroLad wrote:

In article e6hjb.787009$uu5.137574@sccrnsc04, =20
says...
What is soft-mod? When it asks if i want to install normal, soft mod
9500(includes 9500-9700), or soft mod 9800, which would be best for
me to use on a 9700 Pro, and why?
=20
I suppose i'll do the 'soft mod 9500' which looks like it includes
9700 pro

=20
SoftMod applies to amongst others the 9500np range, here the 'red'
board with 'L' shaped memory with x4 pipelines was capable with the
Omega's to be modded to a 9800 with x8 pipelines.
=20
Thus saving [at the time] =A3220.
=20
You see the 9500np and the 9800 were the same thing with the 9500np=20
having x4 of it's pupelines closed off. The SoftMod opened these up!.

Was that a typo? The 9500np used the same chip and in early releases
the same board as the 9_7_00, not the 9800. There's no "lite" version
of the 9800 equivalent to the 9500np--the 9600 is in the equivalent
marketing slot but they've closed the pipelines in the chip instead of
on the board.

It's possible to overclock a modded 9500np or 9700 to the same
performance levels as a 9800 but contrary to popular belief that does
not turn one of them into a 9800--for most purposes the performance
should be pretty much the same but you don't get the new pixel shader
and other enhancements, which may or may not be an issue in the future
depending on what the game designers decide to do.

If you have a 'red' board with 'L' shaped memory come back & ask a=20
question!
=20
BoroLad

--=20
--=20
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 17th 03, 06:37 PM
BoroLad

In article ,
says...
BoroLad wrote:

In article e6hjb.787009$uu5.137574@sccrnsc04,

says...
What is soft-mod? When it asks if i want to install normal, soft mod
9500(includes 9500-9700), or soft mod 9800, which would be best for
me to use on a 9700 Pro, and why?

I suppose i'll do the 'soft mod 9500' which looks like it includes
9700 pro

SoftMod applies to amongst others the 9500np range, here the 'red'
board with 'L' shaped memory with x4 pipelines was capable with the
Omega's to be modded to a 9800 with x8 pipelines.

Thus saving [at the time] £220.

You see the 9500np and the 9800 were the same thing with the 9500np
having x4 of it's pupelines closed off. The SoftMod opened these up!.

Was that a typo? The 9500np used the same chip and in early releases
the same board as the 9_7_00, not the 9800. There's no "lite" version
of the 9800 equivalent to the 9500np--the 9600 is in the equivalent
marketing slot but they've closed the pipelines in the chip instead of
on the board.

That's correct ATi 'kicked off big time' over the 'shiploads' of
moddable 9500np's and because the 'partners' were not quick enough to
stop their processing of moddable boards ATi shut the pipes on GPU.

It's possible to overclock a modded 9500np or 9700 to the same
performance levels as a 9800 but contrary to popular belief that does
not turn one of them into a 9800--for most purposes the performance
should be pretty much the same but you don't get the new pixel shader
and other enhancements, which may or may not be an issue in the future
depending on what the game designers decide to do.

Not a 'typo' but certainly not enough quality info on my part, the
default install of any of the 'Omega' driver sets will give 9800 frame
performance in games [not benchmarks] but can never give pixel shader
etc because it's still not a 9800.

Amazingly I just yesterday did a 'L' Red original reference 9500np as a
9800 performance card. In Feb this year I bought 6+6 of these boards,
one of them paid for by the customer I've held onto all of this time, he
showed up on Monday and I built an Abit NF7-S v2.0 [MCP2-T] for him
yesterday.

The v2.4.96b drivers defaulted, set the gart and ran at 9800 no problems
at all - of course all this is academic if you don't have a Red L
Reference board

If you have a 'red' board with 'L' shaped memory come back & ask a
question!

BoroLad

--
Regards BoroLad ¸ô¶ó