Gigabyte Radeon 9600

Old October 12th 03, 07:02 PM
Ash

Default Gigabyte Radeon 9600

Hello,

I currently have a computer with a Asus TUSL2-C motherboard (socket 370) a
Tualatin Celeron 1300, and a Matrox G550 (after I had a G400).
I've always liked the text sharpness better than the 3D speed, but now...
even if I don't play a lot of games, my G550 seems very slow.
I'm considering replacing it with a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 (because it's not
that expensive here in France, comparing to other brands). I'm not sure a
9600Pro or something else is useful because I only have a Celeron (even if
it's not that slow either) and because I don't use 3D games or applications
that much.
However I would like to know if a Gigabyte ATI graphic card will provide a
good video signal (crisp text and so), as my Matrox did.
I searched on google and found miscellaneous discussions about it : some
find it *better* than a Matrox G550 (like a Leadtek with GeForce chipsets),
some are deceived and think their display seems blurry...

So... could someone could help me about it ?
Note : my usual display is 1280x1024 at 85hz on a Liteon CRT 19"

Thanks a lot,

JR

Old October 12th 03, 09:07 PM
Tod

I use to use a Matrox G400 (non max) 32MB Dual-head
Then went to a Voodoo 5
Tried two different brands of ATI 9100 64MB (one month each)
Then Tired a Nvidia 5200, returned it because of minor driver problems.
Now the proud owner of a Sapphire ATI 9100 128MB.
(I still use the old Matrox G400 on my old 98SE computer)
I've been using a Hitachi CM810 21" monitor for all these cards.
I'm very happy with the 2D on the Sapphire ATI 9100.
Normally run at 1280X1024, 85hz

Old October 14th 03, 05:22 PM
Jean Cochard

I have the same Gigabyte Radeon 9600 (128 MB) since last month. The image
quality is excellent on the analog output. The TV out is also quite good (5
meters S-VHS cable).
No noise - passive heatsink.
I paid 109 euros for it.
My usual display is 1280x960 at 85hz on a 19" CRT Hitachi CM771.
For stable booting I had to disable "fast writes" and to stick to AGP x4

Old October 14th 03, 09:43 PM
Ash

I have the same Gigabyte Radeon 9600 (128 MB) since last month. The image
quality is excellent on the analog output. The TV out is also quite good

(5
meters S-VHS cable).
No noise - passive heatsink.
I paid 109 euros for it.
My usual display is 1280x960 at 85hz on a 19" CRT Hitachi CM771.
For stable booting I had to disable "fast writes" and to stick to AGP x4

Thank you and Tod for your answers.

JR