ATI AIW Radeon :: Tv out mode weirdness when rebooting

Old September 29th 03, 04:18 AM
tomatohead

Default ATI AIW Radeon :: Tv out mode weirdness when rebooting

Hi,
I've had this problem for ever, but it just now became a problem.

My computer is in Tv out "mode" when I reboot it, even though it comes
up
in normal mode in windows.

i.e., the boot start up screen and stuff has the aspect ratio of tv
mode (looks
just like your in this mode), even though windows looks normal.

now i made this system dual boot, and XP comes up in tv out mode ! but
2000
is in "normal" mode. The XP driver has no setting to change the mode
at all, so i dont even know how i would go about pumping the signal
out to the tube in XP.

but this i dont even care about ... i just want my XP to look normal !

right now it has black at the top and the bottom, and the desktop is
"bigger" than the available space, so i have to use the mouse to slide
everything into the viewer "window" ...
obviously, as you can imagine, this is driving me nuts ...

any ideas ?
cheers,
Old September 29th 03, 04:18 PM
electric sheep

here is a link :::
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4014.html

this supposedly only applies to DVI monitors, but in fact mine is a
regular monitor.

has anyone gotten this issue fixed ?

ati must be overwriting the video code of the BIOS ?
i thought the BIOS was read-only though ?

could be ati is making a change in the CMOS/configuration part of the
BIOS ? if that is the case it seems like changing something in the
BIOS should correct this ?

what would happen if you uninstalled windows while in this mode ?
would you be in this crappy mode forever ?
%^)
kind of silly.
you may have to flash your BIOS just to correct things ...

cheers,
(aka tomatohead while on my work computer !)
Old September 30th 03, 04:04 PM
tomatohead

Just as an addendum ...

I finally managed to get the control panel installed on my XP, so i
can switch
to "monitor mode" in XP. Before i was having problems getting it
installed.

Also, my system is really tri boot, and I tried the Linux partition
and KDE comes up fine.

So, in 2000, XP, and Linux I now have no problem.

However ! The Boot screen still comes up in this wacky tv-out mode !
as does DOS. and linux comes up in it too, until you start the
X-server.

So, the problem is "sort of" fixed. I actually spend quite a bit of
time in text
mode on linux on another computer .... i guess i will not be on this
computer, until i get this fixed.

The ati site mentions this problem in connection with DVI monitors,
but gives no solution.