Graphics Card advice required

Old December 11th 03, 01:56 AM
tHatDudeUK

Default Graphics Card advice required

"Jerry" wrote in message

Go over to the ATI group, Nvidia aren't worth considering right now.

Old December 11th 03, 02:02 AM
DaveL

Let me get this straight. You are looking to buy "P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1.0GB
PC3200, Twin SATA Seagate HDD in RAID" , then you say you're on a budget?
Don't you know all that stuff you mentioned is overkill?

But anyway, more to your question. The answer all depends on what you will
be doing with your computer. If you want to play all the latest games then
I recommend you get an FX5900. If not then I advise you to stick with your
ti4800 as it will be better than the other two cards you mentioned.

Dave

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi,

I am probably going to get a new setup P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1.0GB PC3200,
Twin SATA Seagate HDD in RAID etc.. The one thing I have completely
lost track of is Graphics Card technology I am looking at either a GF
FX 5200 or a 5600 (128mb versions) but am really wondering how much of
a difference this will make over my GeForce Ti4800 (128mb)

Like a lot of people I am on a budget for this stuff, so don't want to
blow a lot of money on an all singing, all dancing Graphics card if I
am not going to see a lot of difference on screen

I am not interested in VIVO at all, DVI might be nice if i upgrade to
TFT at some point in the future but that's about it.

Many thanks for all your expert help

Jerry

Old December 11th 03, 02:26 AM
XCR Chris

I would avoid the 5900 series cards and go with a 5700 Ultra, same as
the 5950 in clock speed, just has a 128 bit memory bus limiting memry
bandwidth to 14-15 Gig/Sec. It can be has for about 175-200 dollars in
Best buy or any chain electronics store. Just make sure it is an ultra
version.

I have one in a Dell 1 Gig P3 and can play Call of duty at 1600 x 1200 x
32 with everything turned on high. Plays very smooth.

Chris

Old December 11th 03, 05:15 AM
Fred

The card you have is better than the two you have mentioned. The 5200 is
particularly crummy.

I have a 5900, and it is very very nice.

Old December 11th 03, 11:15 PM
Justin Baker

"Jerry" wrote in message

Sounds odd I know but I can get a lot of the stuff trade through my
work with no VAT on it, so saving £400-£500 there otherwise I could
not do it.
I do want it for some games yes but can live with out the absolute max
performance.

I would not buy a 5200 or a 5600. I would consider a 5700 to be the
absolute minimum. Have you also considered the ATI Radeon 9600 (Pro or XT,
not SE)?

Justin B.

Old December 12th 03, 01:33 AM
DaveW

The Ti4800 has similar clock speed to the FX5600 so you won't gain much
there. BUT, the 5600 is DX9 compatible, which the 4800 is not. So you
won't be seeing Doom 3 in all its glory.

--
DaveW

Old December 12th 03, 01:50 PM
Dark Avenger

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi,

I am probably going to get a new setup P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1.0GB PC3200,
Twin SATA Seagate HDD in RAID etc.. The one thing I have completely
lost track of is Graphics Card technology I am looking at either a GF
FX 5200 or a 5600 (128mb versions) but am really wondering how much of
a difference this will make over my GeForce Ti4800 (128mb)

Like a lot of people I am on a budget for this stuff, so don't want to
blow a lot of money on an all singing, all dancing Graphics card if I
am not going to see a lot of difference on screen

I am not interested in VIVO at all, DVI might be nice if i upgrade to
TFT at some point in the future but that's about it.

Many thanks for all your expert help

Jerry

I personly don't think the 5600 Ultra is up to the job to run DX9 ....
You must look at it's bigger brother, the 5700 Ultra, wich is based
upon the 5800 Ultra with some ideas from the 5900 Ultra series...
running at 5700 Ultra speeds.

A few bottle necks that exist within the 5600 Ultra series are removed
and now the 5700 Ultra picks up quite a nice level of speed!