max payne2 mirrors don't reflect

Old November 10th 03, 04:25 AM
eng

Default max payne2 mirrors don't reflect

subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Old November 10th 03, 05:11 AM
Anders Albrechtsen

"eng" wrote in message
subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
---
Anders

Old November 10th 03, 11:42 AM
--o--

Thanks........ who reads readme's?

i do ...when there's a problem :P

Old November 10th 03, 02:08 PM
Aki Peltola

"Anders Albrechtsen" wrote
subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.

Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.

Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
Must evolve.

Old November 10th 03, 09:54 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"Aki Peltola" wrote in message
"Anders Albrechtsen" wrote
subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great

at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't

reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.

Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.

Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
Must evolve.

Actually Max Payne 2 is a DirectX 8.1 game and uses DX 8.1 shaders. Mirrors
in older games (such as Deus Ex) are not rendered by pixel shaders, but
rather through rendering the same scene from a 3rd person perspective.
---
Anders

Old November 11th 03, 02:11 AM
Dark Avenger

"Aki Peltola" wrote in message ...
"Anders Albrechtsen" wrote
subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.

Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.

Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
Must evolve.

Mmm, not really

Aslong as the GF 4 ti series are yet pretty found on the users
computers DX8 will not leave us. But.. DX9 has ..more eye-candy as DX8
and i'm sure that soon every DX8 card owner will feel that games are
"not as nice" as on the neigbhours computer.

And then it's time to find a nice DX9 card.

Unless ofcourse you don't play the latest games.....
Old November 11th 03, 04:20 AM
eng

So which version of pixel shader does my GF4 Ti4200 use? is it hardware or
driver dependant? TIA

Old November 11th 03, 05:53 PM
jeffc

"eng" wrote in message
So which version of pixel shader does my GF4 Ti4200 use? is it hardware or
driver dependant? TIA

I was wondering that too. Can't he just make sure he has DirectX 8.1, and
the latest driver for his video card? If his manufacturer doesn't have one,
surely the nVidia reference driver can be used??