SO DDR SDRAM - PC2100

Old November 14th 03, 01:06 AM
Léon Obers

Default SO DDR SDRAM - PC2100

Hello,

Recently I have purchased a Sony Vaio notebook. At the same order I had
added extra memory by the supplier. (1 Gb)

Because the battery is more fast empty than expected I am looking to
causes. I was curios what kind of memory the Notebook contained.

Nevertheless memory modules could use less or more power consumption, I
was not as happy with the choice of the modules used by the supplier.

Most memory modules do contain separate chips welded to the base plate,
(fixed by the many "legs" from the chip). A less often occurring type
(and the type what is placed to my Sony notebook) is that the memory is
a component of the base itself, covered by a sort of thick black plastic
"splotch" material. Possible a more cheap production process.
http://www.swissbit.com/haupt.asp?ca...&nv=2214&spr=2

In the past, once I have read that these last type of memory modules are
less reliable. By the temperature difference, the black synthetic cover
do have the tendency to loose from base during time, in which the memory
shall become corrupted.

Does someone has more background knowledge about it?

Bt my personal feeling, I have payed a high "Sony" price (certainly not
the cheapest at all), and did get the most cheap none reliable modules.

Besides, those modules are fairly warm, when you put your hand at the
downside of the notebook. Maybe more "cold" memory modules, don't spend
as much power to "heat".

Do someone has more experience and can give advice?

--
Vr.groet - regards, Léon Obers

Reacties per mail, vervang "invalid" door "cc" in het adres.
Reactions by mail, exchange "invalid" by "cc" within address.

Old November 14th 03, 08:02 AM
Alien Zord

"Léon Obers" wrote in message
Recently I have purchased a Sony Vaio notebook. At the same order I had
added extra memory by the supplier. (1 Gb)

Because the battery is more fast empty than expected I am looking to
causes. I was curios what kind of memory the Notebook contained.

Nevertheless memory modules could use less or more power consumption, I
was not as happy with the choice of the modules used by the supplier.

Most memory modules do contain separate chips welded to the base plate,
(fixed by the many "legs" from the chip). A less often occurring type
(and the type what is placed to my Sony notebook) is that the memory is
a component of the base itself, covered by a sort of thick black plastic
"splotch" material. Possible a more cheap production process.
http://www.swissbit.com/haupt.asp?ca...&nv=2214&spr=2

Those memory modules use Micron Technology chips who are one of the worlds
top notch producers.
The assembly process is called COB, chip-on-board and its regarded as a high
reliability process.
http://www.national.com/appinfo/die/0,1826,502,00.html
Even good enough for NASA to consider for space missions:
http://nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/C9F1...eliability.doc

Yes, adding large amount of memory to a notebook will reduce its battery
life. Notebooks typically consume 25 - 35W. 512MB memory module needs extra
4.5W and 1GB 8W. So adding 1GB RAM to a Centrino will reduce its battery
time by 25%.

Motherboard only recognizes 128 of my new 512MB SDRAM Kris General 7 September 23rd 03 03:01 PM
sdram modules found only 48mb but i insert 64mb crazyman General 1 September 19th 03 09:18 AM
Help: DDR v SDRAM roch General 3 September 7th 03 08:40 PM
XP2600+ @ 333MHz fsb with PC2100 Chris Morley General 3 July 17th 03 01:23 AM
DDR SDRAM and FSB speed Alien Zord General 2 July 8th 03 06:09 AM