Samsung HDD 32Gb Detection problem

Old June 3rd 04, 11:01 PM
Gameface

Default Samsung HDD 32Gb Detection problem

Hi,
I have 2 HDD's, I have my Samsung SP0802N set as the slave however I am
unable to detect it properly in the BIOS.

It is a 80Gb HDD however this only appears as 32Gb - also when I boot from
windows using my main Master (Maxtor HDD) the Samsung HDD appears as 'RAW'
filesystem instead of FAT32 or NTFS.

I have entered the BIOS and followed the corrections here at the official
samsung site
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...de_ENGLISH.pdf

I have changed the Access mode from 'auto' to 'LBA' in the BIOS, however it
still appears as a 32gb drive.

I'm doing this because the samsung drive has a ruined windows xp
installation (no suprises there) and I need to backup the "My Documents"
files for a friend.

Can anybody give me any advice on my next step of action.

Many thanks

Old June 3rd 04, 11:34 PM
PC

"Gameface" wrote in message
[...]

You are not going to like this, but it is probably a Bios limitation of your
Motherboard, I know my old Asus T2P4's would only see 32 GB of a 40GB drive.
Solved that by going to a new motherboard.

Cheers
Paul

Old June 3rd 04, 11:40 PM
°Mike°

You have created a single partition, and formatted it
in FAT32, by the sound of it.

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316505

During Setup You Are Unable to Format a Partition
with a File Allocation Table Format
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301340

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:01:33 +0100, in

Gameface scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance
Old June 4th 04, 12:03 AM
DaveW

It sounds like the BIOS of your motherboard may be too old to recognize a
harddrive larger than 32MB. You didn't give any details of your
motherboard/BIOS to be
able to help more.
--
DaveW

Old June 4th 04, 01:04 AM
Gameface

Sorry about that - my motherboard accepts drives bigger than 32Gb, as my
main HDD is a Maxtor 6Y080P0 80Gb HDD - this works fine & is recognised
correctly by windows.

M/Board - Jetway V266A (uses Via KT266A chipset)
BIOS - Award Software Internation, Inc. 6.00 PG 05/10/2002

Hope that helps a bit

Old June 4th 04, 02:58 AM
kony

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:01:33 +0100, "Gameface"
wrote:

[...]

Did you jumper the drive wrong, that is, put a jumper on the 32GB limit
pins instead of the ones you wanted?
Old June 4th 04, 11:13 AM
Gameface

I'm hoping it the jumpers too... i'm gonna keep messing with these &
hopefully it will show the full 80gb - thnx for advice i'll let you knw how
it goes
wrote:

Hi,
I have 2 HDD's, I have my Samsung SP0802N set as the slave however I am
unable to detect it properly in the BIOS.

It is a 80Gb HDD however this only appears as 32Gb - also when I boot

from
windows using my main Master (Maxtor HDD) the Samsung HDD appears as

'RAW'
filesystem instead of FAT32 or NTFS.

I have entered the BIOS and followed the corrections here at the official
samsung site

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...71605421_Insta

llGuide_ENGLISH.pdf

Old June 4th 04, 12:31 PM
Gameface

Thanks Kony - u was right - managed to find the correct setting eventaully

wrote:
Did you jumper the drive wrong, that is, put a jumper on the 32GB limit
pins instead of the ones you wanted?

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
mouse detection problem Andreas Bernsel General 1 March 10th 04 12:37 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM