Installling a driver on XP

Old July 7th 04, 07:58 PM
Kev

N00b Master wrote:

Just got XP and uninstalled the old 9700pro driver to make way for a new
one, but eveytime I reboot the PC it just puts the old one back on. Does
anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

tried booting into safe mode?

Old July 7th 04, 08:57 PM
Mustafa Krap

You need to swtich off System Restore first. Did you run the install for the
new drivers, they should replace the old ones.

Rob.

"N00b Master" wrote in message

"Kev" wrote in message
N00b Master wrote:

Just got XP and uninstalled the old 9700pro driver to make way for a

new
one, but eveytime I reboot the PC it just puts the old one back on.

Does
anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

tried booting into safe mode?

I just tried but it still installed the old one automatically

Old July 7th 04, 09:45 PM
Sham B

Does anyone know how to stop it?

You're supposed to uninstall the ond ones first, as per the instructions

But then you might get into the VGASafe fiasco (like I always seem to), which the instructions dont
mention.

fun fun fun.

Old July 7th 04, 10:17 PM
Di Farker

"Mustafa Krap" wrote in message
You need to swtich off System Restore first. Did you run the install for

the
new drivers, they should replace the old ones.

I'm afraid that made no difference either

Old July 7th 04, 11:39 PM
Sham B

I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98

No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system, not just stop the hardware from
using them (which is what I think you mean by "I did uninstall them!"). you have to go into
add/remove programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use them on auto next time you
reboot, which is what is happening.

Old win98 was never that clever. Problem is that ometimes WinXP is too clever for its own good

Take care.

Old July 8th 04, 09:29 AM
McGrandpa

Di Farker wrote:
"Sham B" wrote in message
.net...

I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98

No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system,
not just stop the hardware from using them (which is what I think
you mean by "I did uninstall them!"). you have to go into add/remove
programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use them on
auto next time you reboot, which is what is happening.

That's how I am uninstalling them!

When you uninstall the old drivers and reboot, XP will find New
Hardware, as you mentioned. You need to CANCEL that, and it will come
up at least twice. You still need to cancel the new hardware wizard,
any time it comes up. Then run the catalyst installer.
McG.