How to switch WAKE ON LAN off

Old October 31st 04, 08:05 PM
Dr Effingpot

Default How to switch WAKE ON LAN off

Hi, I have a new Tiny PC (http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=11482)
and every day or two it turns itself on.

I'm guessing it may be something to do with Wake on Lan - and it's attached
to my broadband router via Ethernet but I have no idea where to get into the
settings to see or to change this.

As far as motherboads and BIOS goes I'm a total novice. Any pointers or
assistance would be excellent.

FIC P4M 800T Motherboard

thanks

Mike

Old November 1st 04, 03:30 AM
Doug Kanter

"Dr Effingpot" wrote in message
Hi, I have a new Tiny PC (http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=11482)
and every day or two it turns itself on.

I'm guessing it may be something to do with Wake on Lan - and it's

attached
to my broadband router via Ethernet but I have no idea where to get into

the
settings to see or to change this.

As far as motherboads and BIOS goes I'm a total novice. Any pointers or
assistance would be excellent.

FIC P4M 800T Motherboard

thanks

Mike

I've only changed that setting on three machines, but in all cases, it was
done through the BIOS setup screen. Assuming your PC is not stolen, it
should've come with an instruction manual. Does it tell you how to access
your BIOS settings? If not, how about the manufacturer's web site? Unless
the designers were insane, the wording for that setting will be exactly what
you called it.

Old November 2nd 04, 07:48 PM
Ian

Don't know anything about your tiny machine nut I can tell you that the last
couple of machines I've had used jumper settings on the motherboard.

check the manuals for jumper settings, or as the other poster said bios
settings.

last resort phone Tiny and hang on the line all day!

Old November 4th 04, 03:53 AM
ECM

"Dr Effingpot" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have a new Tiny PC (http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=11482)
and every day or two it turns itself on.

I'm guessing it may be something to do with Wake on Lan - and it's attached
to my broadband router via Ethernet but I have no idea where to get into the
settings to see or to change this.

As far as motherboads and BIOS goes I'm a total novice. Any pointers or
assistance would be excellent.

FIC P4M 800T Motherboard

thanks

Mike

I don't have any computers set up to WOL, but I understand it's
complex - there's a number that has to be embedded in a very special
PING packet or "frame" that is specific to the the make and model of
NIC adapter, in order for it to actually wake the computer. It's not a
password by any means, but it isn't something that should just
accidentally happen, either. I'd do a thorough search for spyware,
trojans, viri and the like.... you never know.

The MB you mention has a built-in RealTek 8100C controller; I've got a
similar RealTek 8110C controller on my Gigabyte MB. You could try to
disable the "Wake on ARP/PING" in the control panel device manager -
go to Control panel system network adapters (your NIC card
brand) advanced Wake on ARP/PING - and disable it. A warning -
I've never messed with this setting, but it sounds like it does what
you want - if it doesn't work, set it back to enabled; it shouldn't
cause any trouble.

Good Luck!
ECM
Old January 2nd 05, 12:29 PM
Friday Fun

"ECM" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

1. It's a TINY so no manual!!! (and I paid for it - rather than stole it
2. There is no option in the control panel device setting for WOL and I
think it's in the BIOS
3. TINY still have not responded after 3 months - no wonder they are BOTTOM
of the pile when customers rank vendors on support!!!
4. I think my question has become - how do I get into the BIOS settings? The
F8 stuff on bootup seems to get me into some settings but not BIOS.

Any help still apprecited
Thanks
--
Cheers